32.

"The house was awake with shadows and monsters, the hallways they echoed and groaned."

***

I fucked up

I fucked up.

I had everything I've ever wanted right in front of me and just like that, it was snatched away.

The thunder roared in the sky, as if it was laughing at the predicament I was in. I stood in place as I watched Gianna speed out of my driveway for what seemed to be the last time. I could only stand hopelessly in the rain and feel sorry for myself. Unsaid words lingered in the air and I hated myself for causing the beautiful girl so much pain.

I love you too.

I forced myself back into the house, a dejected expression plastered onto my face.

"Oh honey, you're all soaked, come in!" I was snapped back to reality at the sound of Sarah's nasally voice that only added onto the copious amount of anger that was rushing through me. I barely acknowledged her, instead distancing myself and walking through the living room. I didn't miss the frown on her face but I couldn't possibly care enough to apologize to the woman I had once loved.

I made my way into our shared bedroom and straight into the shower, shrugging off the wet clothes that annoyingly clung onto my body. The scorching hot water burned my skin, but I felt numb to the pain for I had already experienced the worst when Gianna walked away from me.

The pain was like no other. I felt as if a million needles dug into me just by her looking into my eyes with such raw intensity. Water flowed down my face as I faced the shower head, my thoughts were completely and utterly consumed by her. I could still smell her on my skin, hear her voice in my head. The memory of her fingertips dragging across my scalp came rushing back and if I focused hard enough, I could still feel it.

I threw on a pair of warm sweatpants, covering my torso with a plain white tee and throwing my wet clothes into my laundry basket which was empty. A signification that Gianna had done it for me despite me telling her I could handle it. Another reason to love her, a list I had formed a while ago without knowing.

Growing up, I imagined myself getting married to one of the supermodels my sister forced me to watch almost every single day.  I would never admit it, but that had slowly become my favourite time of the day. Not only because I was lucky enough to spend time with my sister, but because I would often imagine myself as the perfect suitor for one of the mesmerizing models.

As I got older, my innocence slipped away. I spent more nights between random girl's legs than I did in my own house. I thrived on the attention and power I received from each desperate individual, and once I was done. I never saw any of them again.

I made myself believe that they were everything I've ever wanted and I would only be happy if I ended up sleeping next to a girl as beautiful as the ones I had seen on screen. As a young boy, I thought the most important thing in life was beauty. And if I had found a good-looking girl, I would be complete for my life.