34.

"I'm well acquainted with villains that live in my bed."

***

It was often that we, as humans took life for granted

It was often that we, as humans took life for granted. We didn't take time to cherish getting home safely, or sleeping in warm sheets, the comfort of our friends and family, the sound of annoyingly consistent birds chirping early in the morning.

Freedom to walk around during the day without worrying if you would get back to loved ones, simply trusting that the universe would have our back and we would end up right where we belonged every single time.

We failed to feel any sort of gratitude towards the earth, or God, or any higher power when we were constantly protected from the harmful happenings in every country, on every street, in every neighborhood, on a daily basis.

It was only now, seated in a cold dark alley, when I finally realized just how important it was to be thankful for my life. My head pounded against my skull and I brought my hands to the sides and rubbed small circles around the painful area, attempting to release some of my discomfort.

The man in front of me looked unbothered. A bored expression was plastered onto his familiar face. I took in every single detail of him. The scar above his left eyebrow that i had failed to notice the very first time I met him. His hands that noticeably shook every few seconds, the consequence of a bad drug habit.

It was right there. Right at the back of my head. He looked so familiar. His facial features were so recognizable, I just couldn't put my finger on who I saw them on first.

"Gianna Vidal." he tsked, prowling forward. He kneels down to my level and grabs a stray strand of my hair, twirling it in his calloused finger. He reeked of cigarettes and sweat and I grimaced, snapping my neck away from the man, which only caused him to laugh. "We meet again."

I decided to ignore him. Not wanting to give him the satisfaction of having a conversation with me."Oh, the silent treatment? I can work with that." my vision lingered on the corner of the alley I was trapped in. If I just tried to run. There was a small sliver of a chance that I would make it unscathed. But even I wasn't that naïve, it was no use. I immediately began to feel trapped, my breaths shortened and I shut my eyes tightly to avoid any tears leaking from my dull eyes. I wouldn't let him see my fear. So instead, I stared right at him and without a second thought, I slapped him across the face.

That felt so good.

I anticipated his reaction. Watching as the initial shock left his expression and was replaced with a mocking smile. And then, he laughed.

It was manic.

The sound brought shivers down my spine.

"You little bitch." his grey eyes blazed with fury and he grabbed my face, forcing me to look at him. "You are so lucky I'm not in a violent mood today princess." he spoke, before releasing my skin and grabbing a zip tie, tightening it around my wrists. I struggled against his hold but he was too strong and I cursed.