35.

"Before you go, was there something I could've said to make your heart beat better?"

***

I crossed my arms over my chest and watched carefully as dozens of men transported Sarah's belongings out of my house and into a large moving truck in the driveway

I crossed my arms over my chest and watched carefully as dozens of men transported Sarah's belongings out of my house and into a large moving truck in the driveway. The sight was pleasing enough to almost bring happy tears to my eyes but I held back the emotion for her sake.

At the prospect of moving out—Sarah was livid, she hid her anger by masking it with sadness. Which resulted in her sobbing on the stairs in front of me and I tried not to roll my eyes at how awfully dramatic she was being. Her tears were fake and the mascara rolling down her cheeks had the texture of water rather than tears. It was a sight for sore eyes. The act had the same effect as an equally bad Hallmark movie and I wanted to laugh at her state—but I didn't. I wasn't that cruel.

My foot tapped impatiently against the hard concrete as I observed two men carry out her extensive coat selection on an over designed rack which I was glad to see go, it looked like a mix between tacky Versace and Louis Vuitton. I hated that thing.

"Be careful with that! It costs more than your entire monthly salary!" she screeched at the two people who were only doing their jobs and they looked at me in question. I waved my hand dismissively and told them to continue dragging it away, much to Sarah's distaste.

She stared at me with unbridled anger swimming in her eyes and I quirked my eyebrow, waiting to hear whatever shit she has to say for herself this time. "Alex, tell them to stop!" she begged. "Why do they have to take everything? I'll only be gone for a month at most. That's how long breaks last right?" her tone was laced with frustration as she looked up at me, but I didn't feel a single thing.

No remorse. No guilt. No love. I felt absolutely nothing for the woman in front of me and it had to have been the best feeling.

"A break?" I repeated, staring down at her in shock. I couldn't help but tilt my head upwards and laugh. "We are done. Divorced. Over. Completely over. No more second chances—or seventh chances, in your case. This is it Sarah." I told her, watching as her bottom lip wobbled. It was what she always did when she wanted to get her away and a year ago it might've worked on me, but not this time.

"W-what? Alex, honey, don't be so dramatic we can fix this I promise."

I scoffed and took in a deep breath to control how angry I was becoming. I silently praised myself for making my sister pick up the kids this morning—I knew eventually Sarah would cause a scene and even though she didn't care what they saw happen between us, I did.

Letting them know about their mother and I splitting up wasn't going to be easy. In fact—I was nervous. The Alexander Moritello who made billion-dollar business deals and held important meetings almost every day was nervous to speak to his own children.