03 | peridot

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

TWO WHOLE YEARS had passed since that night, and while Julian did encounter Catarina many times after that, she always ignored him and pretended as if he never existed.

She had grown even lovelier as time passed, but after being treated like thin air for two years, Julian began to slowly forget about her. His affections remained, but he no longer thought about her as often.

"I have come here to warn you," his elder sister Demitria hissed as they walked to the dining hall for breakfast. "Mama is searching for a bride for you."

"Oh ?" he replied, feigning interest. He knew that the day would come soon, especially since he had turned twenty-one last month. "Who will it be, then ?"

Demitria's dark blue eyes were instantly filled with enthusiasm. "That's the thing that concerned Mama so much. There are no princesses left for you to marry.

Now, here's the fun part. She intends to pass a decree for every noble house to send a daughter. They will be put through tests and trials until we can find the one most suitable to become a queen."

"More playthings for you, then ?" Julian chuckled. Princess Demitria was a notorious prankster, and only God knows what she has in plan for those poor ladies.

After breakfast, the Queen's summon finally came, and Julian grudgingly headed to the tea room, where his mother spent most of her time in. His sister, curious as a cat, had also come along.

Sitting on the chaise was the strikingly beautiful queen, her long, curly dark brown hair coiffed in a delicate updo bedecked with diamonds, her golden skin so radiant that it glowed in the morning sun, and she possessed honey brown eyes that were similar to Julian's, but unlike her son, her gaze has lost its warmth.

"Judging by your expression, I assume your pot-mouthed sister has already informed you about this ?" she said sternly, her voice cold and aloof.

Julian heard his sister inhaling sharply behind him, and he knew that his mother was treated Demitria poorly for being unable to marry well.
He realised that he had been very grim-looking for the past hour, so he immediately changed his expression to that of curiosity and wonder.

"Informed me about what, Mama ? I don't understand," he quickly retorted, feigning ignorance.

Queen Isabel let out a sigh as she lifted up her hand and signalled her children to sit down, and began to explain the same thing that Demitria had previously told Julian.

"Only six of the twelve noble houses will be able to send a candidate.

House of Andrade and House of Ferreira's daughters are still young, House le Grande's only daughter, Elise, passed away last summer of consumption, while House Del Rosa's only daughter Octavia married Charles, son of the Duke le Grande two years ago.
Both House d'Augustine and Arellano have no daughters, only sons. That leaves us with House of Breckenridge, House le Prince, House le Comte, House of Blanchard, House of Olivier, and House-"