22. Cookies

-Jack-

-Jack-

I ran through the forests, suffocating from fear. Hundreds and hundreds of shadows were after me. My hands were soaked in blood, and I didn't need to know whose blood it was. It was always Arch's. The shadows were gaining up on me... I couldn't run fast enough. I wasn't even running. The snow was pulling me in like a quicksand.

When the snow reached to my chest, a splatter of blood landed right in front of me. I stopped struggling and looked up.

I wanted to vomit.

What had I done to my mate...?

"You said you love me..." he spoke in a whisper, gurgling...

What had I done...? The ground around him turned red.

"Please make this stop..." I whispered, closing my eyes, but I could still see him. I could still smell him.

A loud growl wiped it all away. I still didn't want to open my eyes. I had no strength left to see my mate. I just wanted to die to get rid of these nightmares...

Something grabbed my arm, and my eyes flung open with a surprised gasp. The big, gray wolf was there, his teeth around my wrist as he pulled me out of the snow. The snow was white again.

But this time, it wasn't just me and the wolf.

Arch stood behind him, not a single scratch on his body. He smiled at me. I had never seen anyone smile at me with such warmth in their eyes... Then he came to kneel down in front of me.

"These nightmares will be over soon," he spoke softly. "I need you to stay strong for me a little while longer, okay? Don't let them take you."

For a second, I forgot this was just a dream. I nodded.

"I'll try... But..."

"You would never hurt me," Arch said. "Never."

He was right. I would never hurt him. I'd do anything to protect him. I'd do anything to make sure no one laid a finger on him.

His smile grew wider. "I know," he whispered. "Do you like the cookies? I want to bring you more today."

"They're good," I said, not really interested in the cookies – I just wanted to watch him, his beautiful features, and gentle eyes.

"Then I'll bring you more today," he said, and by the time he spoke the last word, I was already awake, staring at my ceiling.

It was still pretty early, so I stayed in bed, under the warm covers. I wasn't actually cold. I felt warm. Peaceful. Arch's words still echoed in my head. His smile had made me warm.

But I was a little sad, too, because it was just a dream.

I got out of bed much later. I was still thinking about Arch while I washed myself and ate breakfast. I didn't have much else to do, and for some reason, thinking about him didn't feel so... bad. Normally the infestation would start moving inside me, but now they stayed pretty silent.