CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT.

Breakfast had been as loud and talkative as usual but Kirigan was - of course - absent from his chair. Liliya didn't mind, she had seen him a few hours earlier. The fact that she had cuddled with him not a few hours earlier felt strange. He never seemed like the type and yet there they had been. He had moved to cuddle her closer. It was cute but she didn't allow herself to get too distracted.

She went through to the library and ended up studying for a few hours along. Curled up in the corner as she reread things that she knew. Eventually, Arina found her and the two went out to train together. Arina was uncharacteristically quiet and rather than allowing herself to babble or tease Liliya, she was silent.

They trained with an odd amount of aggression but Liliya managed to come out on top. It was exhausting and Arina being like this was something she hadn't expected. Everything was fine or had been fine. After Genya and the argument, they'd been distant but they had apologised to each other. Liliya was realising quickly that maybe that wasn't enough.

"Where are you going now?" Liliya asked as they headed towards the door of the training room. Arina shrugged and pulled it open. The afternoon sun was lowering now but it was going to a while until it fully set. The summer days stretched long in the Little Palace and Liliya always tried to enjoy them.

"I'm going down to the school to assist with the kids," Arina said as they walked away. Liliya sighed and then grabbed Arina's hand, stopping her in her tracks.

"Can we talk? You've been acting strange since Genya," Liliya asked. Arina sighed and nodded, turning around to face the redhead. She pushed a smile onto her lips and let her hands rest at her side.

"What's up?" Arina asked. Liliya watched her for a moment, trying to work out if she actually wasn't aware. But the awkward way her hands were resting and the fake way she smiled told Liliya everything she needed to know.

"I understand that I shouldn't have shouted at you and argued with you. You had every right to leave if you wanted to but it's my choice who I spend time with. It was a mistake to fall asleep with her because it caused issues outside of our friendship. I'm sorry for shouting. I don't know what else to tell you other than I'm sorry for shouting," Liliya said as she adjusted her kefta. The pleading look in her eyes made Arina sigh.

"But you're not sorry. You could have said those when I first came back. Expressed how you were frustrated that I left but instead you ignored it and screamed at me after I found you in bed with someone who isn't worth your time," Arina spat. Her fake smile dropping and turning into a scowl. She glanced around, there were a few Grisha around but most of them were gone.

"Maybe I just wanted to talk to my best friend rather than bringing up all my issues. I was happy to see you but I'm not going to argue with you over this. I'm sorry, okay? Now, keep being childish or just talk to me," Liliya said as she stepped back. Arina was making her feel like a dramatic teenager having friendship problems. They were grown women not two schoolgirls. Arina was being immature and Liliya couldn't handle it.