00 || Daniel

Song: Black Out Days - Phantogram (slowed)

𝔚𝔚𝔚
5 years ago

Daniel Dumont and Weston Farley were prone to trouble.

At twelve years old the two neighbours were always finding ways to attract the wrong kind of attention from the elders of The Colony.

No matter how many times Daniel's birth father would discipline him, he never learned to conform, and Weston Farley only enabled his behavior.

Yet in the end it was trouble that set the two boys free. 

For a long time The Colony had just opted to let it slide, blaming it on their adolescence. But that excuse quickly grew old as they did and their behaviour wasn't going to be tolerated for much longer.

They were maturing and under Father Kade Rogers' Colony, that meant that they were destined to grow into their roles. 

You see, The Colony was a small section of land closed off from the rest of America. While everyone else in America was living in the age of technology, freedom and diversity, the people of The Colony were living under the worship of Kade Rogers. The man who had built up a following of loyal worshippers that adhered to the right path of life.

His path.

The few loyal followers in the beginning had multiplied. Their women had children and those children grew to reproduce more children and thus the repopulation began. Creating a whole new generation of impressionable youth that would all worship Father Kade.  

It was all the people of The Colony knew. They were so restricted and controlled by Father Kade that they put their blind trust in a man without knowing the ways of the outside world.

And for Daniel and Weston, that blind trust shattered the night of October thirty first.

That Friday as the elders had all gathered for the weekly assembly at the town hall, Daniel and Weston had managed to sneak out and meet at the old oak tree behind old man Winter's shed.

It was the perfect spot away from the prying eyes and also located at the outer edge of the never ending forest.

The boys had grown up hearing tales of what lied outside of the protection barrier that was the forest. They were horrific stories that had been told by the select few members of The Colony-like Michael Dumont - who had lived to tell the tales of the world beyond the barrier.

A terrifying place filled with violence and hatred.

A place where morals and kindness were as rare as gold.

But the tales hadn't ever stopped the two boys from venturing into the woods and heading towards their clearing.

It was a weekly ritual of sorts. They would count to three and run into the mass of trees and darkness as fast as they could, with only the moon and a small flashlight Weston had stolen from the department store to guide them.

It gave them the freedom to run and scream as loud as their little hearts desired without the restrictions that came with disobedience in The Colony.