Chapter 83 - Considerations

You blink several times, not understanding what you're hearing. Odin had not only saved your life - he had...immortalized it?

"But...but why?" you ask, confused. "And why did he wait? Why...?"

Rather than feel excited or grateful, you feel yourself growing angry.

If Odin knew he was going to bless you all along, he could have saved you all the fear. The panic. The tearful goodbyes.

Loki leans forward and places a kiss on your cheek, his fingers trailing up and down your arm as he feels you growing tense and upset. Thor places a comforting hand on your knee, but you pull away from his touch.

"It is the only way you could have received it, sister," says Thor softly as you glare at him. But you immediately soften your gaze as you see him shrink back slightly.

"Explain," you seethe.

"The Aesir's blessing can only be bestowed upon a mortal who demonstrates godly valor and bravery in battle," Thor says quietly.

"And that valor and bravery can only be demonstrated in a life or death situation, elskede," says Loki, finishing Thor's explanation. "If you had known you were going to receive the blessing, you would not have earned it."

"Father held his tongue because you had to believe in your own sacrifice," says Thor. "Once you were on the brink of death, you had demonstrated the valor and bravery required of the ódauðleg blessun."

"Wait, wait, wait," you say, returning your angry glare to Thor. "Did you know?"

Thor immediately raises his hands indicating innocence.

"I did not, my lady, I swear it! When my father did not bless you immediately upon your return from slaying Amora...," Thor trails off, sadness in his eyes. "I did not know," he finishes quietly.

You shake your head and start rubbing at the headache forming in your temples. "You gods...always so dramatic," you say, rolling your eyes.

A sudden commotion from archway catches your attention as in strolls Odin followed by Frigga, Sif, the Warriors Three, and Herkja. You gasp in delight and surprise seeing all of the familiar faces as they beam, smiling from ear to ear.

"How did they know I'm awake?" you ask Loki quietly.

But no sooner do you ask than you see Loki's projection slink in behind the crowd through the arch way. He catches your eye, giving you a sly wink as he steps around all of your friends and family, now gathered a few steps from your bedside.

His projection places a ghostly hand upon your face before fading away, leaving the real Loki behind you. You smile as you feel him kiss your cheek where his projection had touched it, his arms still threaded around your waist - holding you tightly, safely.