Chapter 4

"Well, your mother was a wonderful person."

Was...

"Diana, whenever you called her name, she gives in the brightest smile, I couldn't help, but fall in love with her smile."

Elle sounded soft.

"She enjoyed walks in the garden with the Grand Duke, she talked a lot and the Grand Duke listens, replying here and there."

She said the grip on the comb had gotten tighter.

"People called the love between your father and your mother, fated to be."

I rolled my eyes a bit, fated to die as well.

"Oh, the most important thing to mention, is that you are the spitting image of her," Elle said looking into my eyes through the mirror.

"Whenever I see you, I see her."

Elle says.

My eyes darkened.

"Please never say that again."

Elle's eyes widened, "I apologize if I offended you."

I wondered why my chest started to ache when I heard that.

I dislike that feeling.

Being compared to someone already dead.

'Your living existence is just a reminder'

I recalled that sentence, that horrendous sentence.

It echoed throughout my head.

It wasn't from my memories, it was Irene's.

Elle had to stop talking and continuously brush my hair.

"Elle, please continue."

She nodded.

"She was a powerful summoner."

I know that, it was s the only information that was mentioned in the novel about Irene's mother.

"What did she summon?"

Elle had a gentle smile.

"She was in contracts with many elemental spirits, she had great relationships with all of them."

I nodded slowly.

"Were you close with my mother?"

Elle hesitated a bit before speaking, "I wouldn't say close, but I was one of her personal maids, she and I had some kind of friendship, I guess."

I looked at her this time, face to face.

"Were you sad when I was born too?"

Elle bit her lips, "With full honesty, I was sad, but I regretted it after I laid my eyes on you."

She knelt down and grabbed my hands tightly and said something that would be forever imprinted in my head.

"The birth of you was the happiest moment of my life as well," she said with a genuine smile.

"Thank you, Elle."

I smiled.

"One thing I forgot to mention, do you know why my hate towards the Grand Duke started?"

Elle asked.

"Was him abandoning me or mentally affecting me throughout my childhood?"

Elle laughs, "Yes, and it was because he forgot Diana's wish."