71. non-believers

I turned, my heart slamming against my ribcage as my eyes widened. A scream tore through my throat, feeling like shattered glass as I ripped myself from Bellamy's grasp. 

She shouldn't have been here. She wasn't supposed to be. I had told her to stay put. I had told her--It didn't matter what I told her, because she was here. 

All the blood had seemed to drain from Greer's face as she stumbled backward, the blade that had been thrown earlier protruding from her tiny torso. 

I scrambled toward her, catching her before she could hit the ground. "Greer." I sobbed out, holding onto her as the mob continued to approach. "G, don't close your eyes."

She looked up at me, her big blue eyes no longer full of life like they once had been. "I wanted to find you." she whimpered, tears trickling down her cheeks. "I'm scared..."

"I'm here." I whispered, gently wiping away the tears. "I've got you."

"Avery, we've got to go!" Echo screamed, her voice breaking me from the trance I had been in. The world hadn't frozen like I thought it had, I couldn't stay here. "Leave her, she's gone!"

"No!" I screeched, anger coursing through me. "I'm not leaving her!"

Bellamy was suddenly at my side, pulling Greer from my grasp and into his own arms. His face was written in sadness, but he was determined to get us out of here safely. "I've got her." he assured, cradling her limp body against his own. 

Octavia grabbed onto me, pulling me from the ground and holding onto me tightly as we followed after Echo. 

It felt like I was underwater as we rushed forward. Nothing seemed to make sense...this couldn't be real. 

Because if it were real, it would mean that a three year old child just died because I failed to protect her. I should never have left her. She'd still be alive if I had just stayed with her. 

This was my fault. 

I was dragged into a storage container along with the rest of the group. Only when the doors slammed shut did I seem to resurface from my trance. 

With tears blurring my vision, I rushed toward Bellamy, watching as he gently laid Greer down on the ground. 

A sob tore through my chest as I picked her up, pulling her against my body as I pressed my back against the wall of the box.

The angry yells seeped through the cracks of our safe haven, the pounding of fists reverberating off of the metal. 

I blocked them out, squeezing my eyes shut as I gripped onto Greer. Her breathing had long since ceased...she was gone. 

When I opened my eyes, the entire group was watching me, all of them giving me saddened looks of pity as they watched me break. 

Bellamy sat down next to me, wrapping his arm around me as I buried my head against his chest. "She was just a little girl." I whispered, my voice muffled by his shirt. 

Pushing my hair out of my face, he pressed a kiss to the top of my head. "I know." he said softly, his own voice tight from sadness. 

We sat in silence for a few passing moments, the sound only of the blood-thirsty mob filling the small space.

Finally, I decided enough was enough. Pulling myself together, I sat up and hastily wiped the tears from my face. Looking down at Greer for a brief moment before I reached out and gently shut her eyes. 

"What are you doing?" Bellamy wondered as I moved to set Greer on the ground, being sure to carefully lay her down. 

I stood, clearing my throat as I looked over at him. "I'm getting our friends out of here and if I get the chance, I'm killing Russell Prime."