Chapter Thirty-Two

"You know, I told Evander I wouldn't try leaving my room unless it was to go to class or to visit Felix," I told Claude as I followed him out to the woods behind the library

"You know, I told Evander I wouldn't try leaving my room unless it was to go to class or to visit Felix," I told Claude as I followed him out to the woods behind the library. The sun was setting already, casting long shadows off the building. I shivered a little, wishing I'd brought a heavier jacket.

"You did go to class," Claude responded.

"Yeah, and I am supposed to go right back to my room."

"If you're that afraid to spar with me, you only have to say so."

I glowered at him as he glanced over his shoulder at me, expression neutral. "That's not it at all! I've just betrayed Evander's trust so many times. Maybe we should wait—"

"I, the crown prince, am giving you permission. Do you believe Evander would go against me?"

"Don't you have a regent on the throne right now?" I asked. "I'm sure Evander would only listen to them. Do you even still have the authority to overrule anyone?"

Claude suddenly stopped making me walk into his back. He faced me, eyes narrowing. "I don't think you need to be reminded of what determines royalty as royalty. The regent may be sitting on the throne on my behalf, but I am still the Crown."

"I know that. I'm just teasing you, Claude," I said, patting his shoulder. Who would have thought he was so sensitive about that?

"Hm."

"In my eyes, you're a true royal," I said.

He paused, sharp expression fading into a mildly confused incredulity as he glanced back at me.

I smiled. "A true royal pain in the ass, that is."

He glared. "I hope you're prepared."

"Prepared for what?"

"I'm not going to go easy on you."

I blinked. I didn't know whether to be intimidated or not. I'd never seen Claude actually fight. Just passed out in a dumpster. He claimed to be strong, but was he really?

"I know what you're thinking," he snapped. "That doesn't count."

We stepped through the brush and I scanned the tree line. I still didn't think it was that smart of an idea to be out here. Aside from being suspended, I didn't know if more hunters had been dispatched out to find me. Although with Claude, there was barely a chance of them getting to me. The Sway would stop them in their tracks. That was the one good thing about being around him. No one had a chance in a fight against him just because of the Sway alone.

"No Sway," I warned Claude, nearly tripping over a root sticking out of the dirt.

He grabbed my arm, steadying me. "I wouldn't need that against you, anyway."

"Why are you so confident?"

"Vampires are inherently stronger than humans, to begin with."

"Aren't you still healing though? You know, since you don't want to, um," I paused. "Do the thing that makes you heal faster."