ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ: ʟᴀᴄᴜɴᴀ

1.05

05】

(n.) a blank space, a missing part

♡♡♡

I've always hated early mornings. Often, I am the last child to wake. Today was an exception. I was practically buzzing with energy, despite my late night. But I remained in bed to avoid arousing suspicion.

After eating breakfast, I joined the children in a game of tag. In which I immediately ditched them and ran as fast as I could to the wall. I made sure to run in the direction where Isabella wasn't. She has the tendency to be nosy. Leslie and one of my younger siblings are seeking. I wasn't too worried about either of them finding me.

Hard leaves crunched under my boots, and I felt myself begin to sweat. I briskly approached the large tree nearest to the wall and began to climb- noting that I would need to practice before leaving. I spent an embarrassing few minutes struggling upwards before latching onto the ledge of the wall and using what strength I had left to pull myself on top.

Like the child I was, I was obligated to close my eyes before viewing whatever was in front of me. A surprise of sorts. Opening my eyes, I felt my heart drop to my stomach as I gazed at the horizon. A cliff. The farm was surrounded by a cliff. Those motherfuckers.

I scowled. This new obstacle served as kindling to my burning rage, and what started as microaggressions would get legitimately violent if I didn't take a few steps forward for once. Being an aspiring escapee was proving to be difficult. It seemed any new information was a double-edged sword.

As an attempt to quell my irrational frustration, I assure myself: whatever they throw at me, I can handle it. I can handle a cliff, I tell myself. Fueled by a newfound source, I sprinted atop the structure; looking for the ledge closest to the wall.

Once located, I made a mental estimation of its distance from where I was standing. About fifty feet separated me from the outside world- from freedom. Fifty feet, and a fatal fall to my death.

Gritting my teeth, I glance back in the direction from where I came. If the children couldn't find me, they would tell mother, and she would find me easy. I make a steady pace back, and climb down the tree. I'm running back home when I feel a sharp tug at my shirt. Fearing the worst, I turn quickly, only to meet the grinning face of one of my siblings. Felicity, I believe, who apparently has an iron grip.

"Caught you! Caught you!" She giggles, and I let out a breath of relief.

"Yeah, yeah. You've got me"

She points a small finger, "The rest of them are under that tree, yonder" she says. I nod in understanding and wave goodbye as she skips further into the forest, looking for more victims. On her back, I notice a stuffed animal secured with a tablecloth. Cloths, multiple. No doubt the work of our mother. I allow myself a self-satisfied smile. Thank you mother, for the idea. I make my way home.