II.III

A/N:  Yet another 10,000+ word chapter

A/N:  Yet another 10,000+ word chapter. Again. This felt so chaotic and all over the place to write. But I promise things are going to start to fall into place. Okay. Song time. "when was it over" by Sasha Sloan ft. Sam Hunt.

Content warnings: mention of violence, sexual assault, rape, vague descriptions of PTSD, and symptoms of PTSD

Aaron Hotchner is a man who has always been accustomed to loneliness. Not that he lacks in company, all his time is split between work with his team and his son. But he has no one to share himself with. He has no one to open up to. To just say whatever he's thinking out loud.

He's grown used to needing to bury his emotions deep inside of him. Feeling everything all at once has become too painful. He needs to be solid and ever-present in his son's life. He needs to be strong for his team. Though he tells them all, 'it's okay to lose it sometimes,' he will never allow himself to lose it again in front of them. He wishes he could act emotionally, the way Morgan and JJ and Reid do. He wishes he could break down every once in a while without everyone thinking differently of him. But what kind of leader would that make him?

He's a man who has a deep respect for the chain of command. He understands the need for structure and rules and protocol, yet at the same time, he wonders how much easier his life would be if he just broke the rules a little bit. What if he had taken that deal with Foyet? Maybe, just maybe, Haley would still be alive. Jack could have his mother in his life.

He's acutely aware of the fact that as a leader he must put others' needs before his own. He follows protocol for a reason. He knows that Morgan sees him a little bit like a dictator. A stubborn, hard ass. Maybe even a little bit of a bully. But he doesn't follow the protocol or the rules to be difficult. He does it because most of those rules are in place to keep people safe. To keep his team safe.

He's plenty comfortable with this personality he has to put on. He's accustomed to this role. He is comfortable in it. The problem is you. You come from the time in his life before all this. Before the shift. You remind him just how much fun you can have by breaking the rules. You remind him of giving in to his emotions. You remind him of feeling. Feeling anything. Feeling everything.

Whatever he once felt for you, it's not lingering around. It's been eight years. He doesn't still harbor feelings for you. He's had his great love. Haley. Haley was his great love. He's not sure that his heart has the capacity for any more love, and if it does, he owes it to Jack to give him all the love in the world. The kid has lost enough.

It's not that he wants you back in any capacity, but he feels this urge to explain himself to you. He knows doesn't have to explain himself to you. He's your boss. It would be best to keep everything professional. That's what he's been trying to do. He's been doing a pretty great job at keeping everything bottled up. Not just keeping what he wants to say to you tucked away, but everything he feels— has been feeling— since he lost Haley a few months ago, tucked away.