28. Birthday

"Hey, Viola, why don't you give it to Philip?"

"Eh?"

"Usually, it's too pitiful for even pig feed... but today's is well-done. How rare!"

I didn't know if Jamie was complimenting or degrading me. I stared at the beautifully-wrapped cookies on my palm. Although the packaging was very beautiful, the content was a mess like usual.

Around us, all the girls were discussing whom to give the cookies they made during cooking class to.

By the way, I wasn't good at making sweets. As such, I always gave my finished products to Jamie. She wanted them for some reason. Although, what she did with them was a mystery.

I was sure I did well that time. Despite that, it never occurred to me to give them to Philip.

"Didn't you tell me that recently you guys have been out-of-touch? There's no harm in raising your friendship."

"That's just how it is, we're out-of-touch."

"Anyway, just try giving them to him? Please? Do it for me?"

She pushed my back, and we left the classroom. Why did she insist I give them to Philip?

In fact, it was normal to give presents to your fiancé—said Jamie. There was no deeper meaning to it. I assured myself and went to the special class. However, he wasn't inside. I was terribly relieved—that meant I didn't have to give them to him.

However, if I were to return to my classroom as I were, Jamie would surely complain. I decided to make a detour to the backyard.

As I walked while humming, I saw two familiar people and involuntarily stopped.

—Why were Natalia and Philip together in such a place.

"...Really, that Viola is just a hassle. Don't you think so too, Lord Philip?"

"Indeed. Even though nothing about us is on par."

The moment I heard those words, my heart froze. I felt faint.

At the same time, I was convinced—

—he was just telling the truth.

I wasn't worthy of him.

"Then, you aren't interested in Viola, right?"

Towards Natalia's question, Philip nodded without hesitation.

"Nope. If the promise between our houses didn't exist, we wouldn't even be involved with each other."

Philip's merciless words made my vision o blurry.

Before I realized it, I had already started running.

...I felt like an idiot. If I were to give those cookies to him, he'd surely just throw them away. My tears were overflowing.

The time I had spent with him since I was a baby was by no means short. I wasn't aware that Philip, whom was usually composed, actually felt like that. I cried even more.

Thus, a few days later, I told him.

"I hate Philip."

***

I only vaguely remembered it, but today, I felt like I had an unpleasant dream.

As usual, I was facing Philip at the Duke of Laurenson's residence having tea.