28

"You want me to make up my mind Dream? Yeah? Ok. We're fucking done. I'm done."

He felt like the world had just burst, roaring silence and the thoughts rushing out of his brain in pure surprise, because this cannot be happening. Because she doesn't mean that, and she's just saying it to hurt him, because she always comes back. She always does. 

And she has too. Right? He's been so nice, and patient and he's done everything for her, even saved the stupid little country she cares so much about when he could just blast it into oblivion, let hell rain down on the heads of her fucking friends, who took her away from him. 

He's waited, been there when she's needed it, kept his distance when she put whatever flimsy display of indecision even though he already knows the answer, just because she wanted him too. It was never like she was going to stay away for long,  because she always comes back, never stays long before she's back in his arms.

Her going back to L'manburg had been a spanner in the works, he'll admit that. But he let it happen, let her play family with them. He'd been shocked by her outburst, the way she shuffled from his presence just like the days when they first met, scared, small, and so cute. He let her go though, because she couldn't walk away from him, from them, because he'd been perfect and done everything, even though he could just take her back home and make everything the way that it was, and she'd be happy. 

But he didn't, and yet her back is turning on him and he realises that this is real and she can't. She can't do this, not after everything, not now. He wants to slit that annoying blonde's throat for turning her against him. He hadn't even cut him that hard, but she was always so attached to the kids, and now it's their fault she's going. 

Nothing made him angrier then seeing her love them more than him. They are weakness, a liability, emotional attachments that just make a person vulnerable. He was only trying to help her, severe the emotional ties that bring her to the mercy of whoever has control over them.

She only needed him. He was there for her, everything she needed, she didn't need them, she had him.

In a way it's his own fault. He'd isolated himself, rid any connections that meant something. He was untouchable, no leverage, no weakness, no Achilles heel. He was impenetrable, invulnerable, completely and utterly powerful beyond control. Then she came along, pathetic little words and fists that bounced off his skin like nothing, so afraid and yet so bold, and well, he couldn't help but fall in love. 

Love.

The word is bitter in his mouth, because he knew. He knew that love was honey hiding the blade, and that for all the happiness he felt, it would cut him eventually. Love, like red yarn looping over wrists and elbows and ankles, connecting the world, holding it together. It was so, so easy to just pull and watch the whole damn world unravel.

He realises it's not that fun when it's happening to you. 

The hands on his arm pull harder, and he registers Eret's attempts to yank him backwards, but he can only focus on the tiny silhouette marching off into the distance. And she can't. He did everything right, did everything a lover should, did everything for her and she can't just fucking leave him. Does she know what he sacrificed for her? She can't just leave him. 

She'll come back. She has too. She'll get upset, and scared, and maybe the little furry brat might come back and she'll come running back in fear and everything will be back to normal. Because she can't leave him, she can't walk away forever.

She has to come back. 

She's his. He knows everything about her, knows everything she cares about in this world. It'd be so much easier for her if he just eliminated those pesky attachments, because he'd be helping her, he really truly would, but he's not crazy enough to believe she'd still love him through the grief. 

She's not strong enough yet. 

But he promises that he'll make her strong enough, show her how much control feels like a drug, the feeling of unstoppable power and the knowledge that you can tear apart every single person's lives with a pair of scissors and a lot of torn up, red, woollen thread. And she'd only be attached to him, solely, wholly to him.

She'd always be his weakness, but it's a price he's decided to pay. After all he likes Eret, and he really likes Sapnap and George, but he'll never love them the way he loves her. Breaking off the feeble idea of love he had for them had been nothing. A stinging pain and nothing more. Invincibility was always terrific pain relief, and lovesick fools sometimes got the happy endings.

He's in the woods in a heartbeat, the others back at home, striding determinedly. He was hurt, truly, for a few moments, especially by the way she'd so viscously flung his words back at him, corrosive acid melting his chest, but he'd realised. 

She was still too weak. Too vulnerable. Too connected to L'manburg and those bratty little kids, and that overgrown stick insect and that too-perfect girl with that irritating smile. He'd save her though, show her how life can be. She'd come back to him, even if he needs to burn all her other options to the ground. 

So when he ends up at the cabin, he doesn't hesitate to push through the door. 

"Schlatt! I changed my mind. I think L'manburg needs a new president after all."

-------

A/N VILLAIN DREAM VILLAIN DREAM VILLAIN DREAM. I LOVED writing this this chapter because it was awesome to just get inside his fucked up little noggin. As we can see, Dream does truly love Rosie, however its his screwed up, obsessive, control freak, deranged idea of love, not what we'd consider to be necessarily healthy. Also we welcome Jschlatt to the story!

What will our favourite sociopath do next? Stay tuned to find out!

Thank you all for your support, and I hope you enjoyed!!

Oopsies x