6

Chapter 6
Just Got Married Then Went on a Business Trip

***

It was 8:00 a.m. in the morning, and they sat on the table, eating breakfast. When they finished, Su Hang suddenly said to Shen Xi: "I'm going on a business trip today."

"Business trip?" Shen Xi was visibly surprised.

"I'm traveling to HK on business." Su Hang clarified.

"So fast. Have you already booked the tickets?" Shen Xi asked.

"Nn." Su Hang nodded.

Shen Xi couldn't remember the last time Su Hang talked to her about such trips, but she remembers being relived whenever such trips happened. After all, being with Su Hang was often an awkward affair.

But now, Shen Xi felt that it was a little strange. He left his new wife to go on a business trip only a day after their wedding? She can't help but doubt if Su Hang actually did like her. However, her upbringing and modesty as a woman made it impossible for Shen Xi to directly ask him. It was also entirely possible that due to their hasty preparations for their wedding, Su Hang could've arranged this meeting long before they actually agreed to get married. So in the end, Shen Xi could only ask: "How many days will you be gone?"

"One week." Su Hang answered.

"Is everything prepared and ready?" Shen Xi asked again.

"I've packed." Su Hang nodded.

"...." Shen Xi felt like there was nothing else to say, so she dryly said: "I wish you all the best."

"Thank you." Disappointment flashed in Su Hang's eyes. Sure enough, Shen Xi didn't feel any reluctance from his departure, not even just a tiny sense of dissatisfaction.

The car picking up Su Hang had already been waiting for a while outside. When Su Hang walked towards the front door with his suitcase in tow, Shen Xi followed, wanting to walk him to the car. But Su Hang held her back, saying: "It's cold outside, so you don't need to go out."

November's weather had always been temperamental, and when Su Hang got out of bed today, he saw frost on the lawn outside.

Shen Xi's feet stopped at his words. She felt embarrassed. She couldn't tell if Su Hang's words meant polite rejection or considerate concern. Shen Xi had always been an introverted and gentle girl. She had never been the type to take the initiative, especially towards things like feelings.

What's more, their marriage was based on mutual benefit. She was afraid that becoming too eager will make Su Hang think that she was the kind of woman who wanted to nitpick on things and take control of his life. Her pride would never allow her to do so.

(T/N: the Chinese used here means to lose money instead of being paid [i.e. should pay me, but is actually taking my money] so like, Shen Xi is afraid of acting like Su Hang owes her something when in the first place, this marriage was for her family's benefit.)

The reborn Shen Xi began to doubt the authenticity of Li QingYiuan's words once more. Did Su Hang actually like her? If that really was the case....why does he always keep his distance and treat her politely, like one would a stranger?

"Ah, sir forgot his scarf." Mrs. Zhang, who had been cleaning, suddenly came out with a black cashmere scarf, hurrying to the front door.

"Mrs. Zhang," Shen Xi hesitated for a moment, but then continued: "Give me the scarf, I'll give it to him."

"Ah, the 'Wife delivering a scarf to the Husband' routine? What a good feeling, yes, yes, here you go." Mrs. Zheng happily handed the scarf to Shen Xi then returned to her cleaning.