27

Chapter 27

***

When Shen Xi returned home, it was already dark. The smell of dinner was floating from the brightly lit villa. Mrs. Zhang was in the kitchen, cleaning up.

"Madam, you're back." Mrs. Zhang saw her enter and greeted Shen Xi with a smile.

"Nn." Shen Xi looked around. "Su Hang isn't back yet?"

"He'll be home soon." Mrs. Zhang replied. "He called in a half-hour ago and asked if the Madam had come back. I said that you were on your way, and Sir said that he would be coming back too."

"Oh." Shen Xi nodded.

"Was the Madam busy today?" Mrs. Zhang suddenly asked.

"I went to the orphanage and played with some children." Shen Xi replied.

"Ah, it seems that the Sir didn't want to disturb Madam." Mrs. Zhang commented.

"Why do you say that?" Shen Xi didn't understand.

"If Sir hadn't been afraid of disturbing Madam, then why didn't he just call you directly to ask when you'd be home? He didn't need to ask me." Mrs. Zhang replied. In her heart, she secretly commended herself for saying such a reasonable sentence that didn't sound too deliberate. Sigh, Sir really is outwardly cold but deep and passionate inside.

Shen Xi's expression turned strange. She didn't ponder whether or not Mrs. Zhang's words were deliberate. Instead, she felt guilty for some reason. She and Su Hang were a couple who acted like they were secretly in love with each other but hadn't dared to take that final step. Shen Xi hadn't thought much of it, but it seems that their situation was obvious to the people around them.

"Madam, I've already fed Chu Wu, so if you don't have anything else for me to do, I'll be leaving." Mrs. Zhang went on to say.

"Ah, of course." Shen Xi awkwardly responded.

After Mrs. Zhang left, Shen Xi took off her black coat and threw it on the sofa. She untied her ponytail and shook her head to loosen her hair.

This was the scene Su Hang first saw when he entered his home. A brightly lit house filled with delicious food, and a beautiful woman letting her hair down.

"Welcome back." Because Mrs. Zhang had told her that Su Hang would be home soon, Shen Xi wasn't surprised to see Su Hang standing by the door.

"Un." Su Hang rubbed Chu Wu on his head for a while, then asked. "You just came back?"

Shen Xi suddenly felt that this man in front of her really was the epitome of 'outwardly cold but deep and passionate inside.' He obviously knew she would be home because of Mrs. Zhang, yet he still asks her. It really makes a person want to expose him, ah. "Didn't you know already?"

"Uh, what?" Su Hang couldn't properly respond for a while.

"Didn't you ask Mrs. Zhang when I'd be back? Just now, Mrs. Zhang joked that maybe you didn't have my cell phone number, and that's why you ask her every time about me." Shen Xi deliberately changed Mrs. Zhang's words around. She wasn't afraid of being caught out, because she knew that Su Hang certainly wouldn't talk to Mrs. Zhang about this.

"I...." Having been exposed so straightforwardly, Su Hang couldn't help but feel embarrassed. After a few seconds, he suddenly asked. "Then, next time, I won't call Mrs. Zhang and just call you directly?"

"Whatever you prefer." Shen Xi, like a tsundere, turned around and walked into the dining room.

(T/N: The word used here is literally explained in the dictionary as presenting as unfriendly and blunt, but warm and tender inside (loanword from Japanese "tsundere") )