twenty seven: the shock that nothing happened

Newt's POV:

We headed off in the direction of clothes and personal items as I watched the others walk around in their pairs. I looked around for a while as I watched Frypan flick through random objects we didn't need.

I lost sight of Y/n for a second, as I got concerned that she wasn't with us, but then quickly caught sight of her looking at the piles of clothes.

I didn't pay any more attention to my surroundings as I examined the things in front of me. I knelt down next to Frypan as I looked up at his gaze. I turned my head to see what the boy was looking at as I noticed he was staring intently at Y/n getting changed.

I moved my hand to his face as I turned his chin in my palm, making him face me as I gave him a serious look. "What?" He said, responding with a smirk. "Like you don't want to do just that?" My head shot up at his comment, as a smirk rested on his lips. 

"What are you on about?" I asked, with a hint of irritation in my voice. "Oh, come on, Newt. You couldn't make it more obvious, even if you tried." I felt heat rise to my cheeks at his words as I planted a confused expression on my face.

"I don't know what you mean." I lied through gritted teeth as I put my head down again, not wanting to meet his gaze. "Newt, come on. You're telling me nothing has happened?"

He sounded so intrigued at the question, excited to know the answer. "No, of course not. Why would it?" Without even realising it, I turned my head to look at her. She was filling a bag with something as I noticed she had tied her hair back into a loose bun. It framed her face perfectly, as I was quickly snapped out of my thoughts.

"See, this is exactly what I mean." I turned back to him once again as I sighed and stood up. Frypan quickly followed my actions as he stood up also, staying close to my heels as I walked to a different section of the room. "Look, mate." I look back up at him again as he leans on a counter to talk to me. "Just go for it. Who knows, might just work out." He smiled brightly at me as I looked back over my shoulder to see Y/n again.

And instead of responding, I ignored him and headed in her direction. She now wore an over sized leather jacket as I watched her place some more things into a rucksack.

"Hey. How's your face?" I smiled as I approached her as she looked up at me, grinning ever so slightly. I'm realising that that is a very rare occurrence, so I take it when I can.

I didn't need to turn to know that Frypan was watching us intently, I just hoped that she didn't notice. "Fine. Thanks for asking though." She stood up slowly to face me as she placed the bag on her back.

"Are you going to tell me how you got it now?" I asked as I smirked, although underneath, I was genuinely worried as to why she showed up bleeding earlier; and to how she knew they were Wicked before any of us did.

She sighed as finally, she looked into my eyes and told me. "The guy interrogating me just got a bit angry, that's all." Her tone was so nonchalant; however, her answer actually invited more questions. "Interrogating? What do you mean?" I asked as I took a step forward, brushing my fingers against her face to get a better look.

"Some of the officers wanted to ask some questions, one of them just couldn't contain his anger." She shrugged as my face fell at the thought. "Here, let me take a look." I didn't even realise I said it but before I knew it, I placed my hand on her chin to move her head to the right, therefore giving me a better way to examine the cut.

It didn't look particularly deep, however, bled quite a lot for just a cut. She stared at me for a second before I adverted my gaze back to hers. She smiled slightly as I returned the expression, while finally, I removed my hand from her face.

"Was it Janson?" I asked curiously, as I let my hands fall back down to my side again. "No, some other guy. Said his name was Lynch." I didn't recognise the name, as I assume none of us had met him, but as she said it, I became slightly angrier.

She didn't deserve to be hit, and yet she didn't seem to care that she was. My nails pierced into my palms as I bawled my fists a little. "Why did he do it?" I asked.

She shrugged slightly as she began to move past me. "He got angry as I refused to answer him. So, he lashed out." She grabbed the torch laying on the counter top as she went to stand next to Frypan as slowly, I began to follow. "Wait, that's how you got it?" Frypan asked as she came to a stop next to him.

"What did you do after he did that?" I asked, as I re-joined the two of them. She turned slightly as she walked into the direction of the agreed meeting spot.

"Knocked the fucker out."

--

Y/N's POV:

"Hold on a second. So, you were cuffed to a table, as well?" Both of their eyes widened as I nodded my head. They seemed to be very interested in the subject, as my main goal was to just find the original meeting spot and re-join the others.

Newt and Frypan followed closely behind me as they both laughed about what I had just told them. It seemed to have taken their mind off why I was there in the first place; for the time being anyway.

As we turned a corner, I noticed the others, grouped together and chatting. "Hey. Find anything?" Frypan asks as we approached, however, Thomas and Minho were not with them.  "Not majorly no, found some old tinned food and clothes though, so a small win, I guess." Winston said as he slung his bag over his back.

I put my head down as I wasn't in the mood to chat much more, but that suddenly became null as I heard a menacing shriek. My head shot up at the noise to peer into the distance, trying to locate the source of the sound. As all of a sudden, I saw two people running at speed towards us. It was Thomas and Minho.

"What the-" Newt began to say as Thomas cut him off. "GO, GO, GO." He yelled as he ran towards us. I didn't say a thing as I moved forward slightly, getting a look at what was behind them.

Other people were chasing them, screaming at them as they sprinted towards the two.

But if anything, they looked the exact opposite of human. Alive, but also completely dead.