35

Steve's pov:

"Does she know I'm here?"

Steve froze at her words. Did she-? Did she not know that Katherine was-? Steve thought about it. It made sense that she wouldn't know. Until Steve had brought her up, Ashlyn had never wanted to know about her mother. Steve clenched his jaw. He never thought that he would have to be the one to tell her. He didn't want to, but she deserved to know. Ashlyn was watching him carefully, Steve knew that she was trying to read him so he kept his face natural.

"Does she?" Ashlyn asked again.

Steve swallowed.

"Katherines.... Well, she's..." Steve didn't know what to say. How do you tell the daughter of your ex-girlfriend that her mothers dead? Steve didn't know how Ashlyn would react. She had never wanted to find out about Katherine so maybe-? Steve sighed.

"Katherine's dead"

Ashlyn's face remained neutral but Steve could see her eyes widen slightly. His heart broke slightly when she let out a small

"Oh"

Ashlyn's pov:

"Katherine's dead"

Ash froze. She's dea- what?!

Ash had spent her entire life thinking that her mother just didn't want her and that was why she sent her to live at that awful place. But now-

"Oh..." Ash wasn't sure how to respond to that.

Was she sad? Ash wasn't sure. She had never met Katherine, but she always thought that her mother was out there somewhere. As much as Ash hated to admit it, a small part of her hoped that someday she would be able to meet Katherine.

There was silence for a few minutes. Steve was watching Ash, Ash was staring blankly at the wall. She wasn't going to cry, she has never met her mother, nothing has changed, but still-

"I'm gonna go" Steve pointed to the security camera in the corner of the room "Call if you need anything."

With that Steve left the room, leaving Ash to think. Ash had kept the picture Steve had given her of her mother. She had placed it securely under her pillow at the apartment. Ash didn't know what made her want to keep it, but it was comforting somehow. It reminded Ash that she didn't need or want anything to do with Katherine. That the only piece of Katherine that she wanted was that little photograph. But now, Ash wasn't sure what she wanted.

----(time skip)----

It had been a few hours since Ash had last heard anything from the Avengers. She had stayed still for the most part. Her wrists were slightly red from the few times she had tried to break free from the chains. However, they wouldn't budge so she was still stuck to the bed. There was a sudden knock at the door and Ash's head shot up. She said a casual

"Come in" And the door opened revealing Bucky, with a tray of food.

"Figured you might be hungry," He said as he closed the door behind him and walked further into the room.

"A bit" Ash muttered. Her mood had changed ever since she had found out about Katherine. She didn't feel all that confident or cocky anymore and she hated it. She wanted everything to go back to normal, she didn't want to feel like this. Ash wasn't entirely sure what she was feeling, sadness, regret, anger, relief? She wasn't sure.

Bucky set the tray down in her lap and lifted the top of the hospital bed so that she was now in a sitting position. He also loosened her chains so that she would be able to bring the food to her mouth. Ash looked down at the food he had brought her. It was two slices of cheese pizza and lemonade. There was also a donut on the side which made Ash smile slightly. In all truth, Ash was very hungry so she immediately brought one of the slices to her mouth and began eating.