Ch. 10 | The Sin

Summary: Spencer accidentally calls Reader by a different name... in front of the entire class. When he begins avoiding her, she confronts him.

A/N: I've warned you all before but I'll do it again - I HEAVILY moderate my comments. Disparaging comments will be deleted. I do not write perfect characters. If you are looking for characters who never make mistakes, then go read some Mary Sue story. There are thousands of them.

This chapter contains heavy topics, many of which are personal to me. Inappropriate comments or jokes that make me uncomfortable will be removed (this may come as a surprise to you, but Wattpad comments are not a stand-up comedy stage for the audience). Keep in mind I read every comment, and I am a person with human emotions. Thank you!

Content Warnings: Embarrassment, begging, kissing, apprehension, fingering, verbal altercation, sexual regret. NOTE, there is a completely optional scene at the end of the chapter. There will be separate CWs for it when it comes.

————————————————— 

I'd never been a morning person before; something about the early sun unsettled me. For a long time, I'd convinced myself that I was a creature meant to inhabit the shade. That foregone fate was one of the biggest reasons I was afraid of the dark. I didn't want to submit to the shadows quite yet. I'd come closer with each passing year.

But when I met my Persephone, everything changed. I turned leaves on white poplar trees to find vibrant green. I discovered that the dull, discolored bark was embedded with diamonds. Beauty was in everything, evergreen like cypress trees that embodied love with nowhere else to go.

The sunlight stubbornly burst through wooden slats covered with curtains, unwilling and unable to stop until it touched my fingertips reaching for it across the wood.

It reached me the same time she did, with a wide smile to disguise sleepy eyes.

"Good morning, Professor!"

I smiled, too, because how could I not?

"You seem chipper for a girl I know for a fact didn't get any sleep last night."

"It can still be a good morning, right?" she asked, marching over to the windows and flipping the slats to bring the sunshine in with her. She still cringed when the brightness hit her, but I accepted the warm embrace of the light.

"Was it not a good night?" I returned. The question caught her off-guard, but she had always been quick on her feet.

"It was," she sneakily simpered.

"Good," I said as I stood from my seat. The action seemed to set off something inside of her, because I could actually see the muscles in her arms and neck tense at the movement.

Her little hummingbird heartbeat was going absolutely wild in her throat, and her eyes were equally restless. She blinked quickly, then not at all. She just stared at me while I tried not to ogle her deer-in-the-headlights posture more than necessary.

Although rare, death by shock had been documented in rabbits. Especially young bunnies.

But it was too tempting not to tease her. I couldn't look at her wringing fingers and bitten lip and not want to torment her a little bit longer. To see how she would react when denied the thing she'd finally worked up the nerve to ask for.

So, I didn't hug her, despite her stepping directly into my path. I stepped beside her with my hand resting gently against her lower back. I urged her to follow me like there wasn't unfinished business behind the thick, wooden doors.