CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE.

It wasn't long until Liliya was clean. She had a fresh set of clothes on. A new kefta and the bloody clothes had been discarded and taken away by a servant. She felt better but being in her room made her paranoid. She didn't know if someone was around, waiting for her. It scared her but she knew that it would be okay. The Little Palace was secure. Or it had been.

That was one of the many questions she needed to ask Kirigan. There were so many things she needed to know. It had been four days and she could barely remember any of the time she had woken. The nightmares were vague memories in the back of her mind but it was just nothing. She still didn't understand how she had been out for four days.

When she reached Kirigan's chambers, she knocked on his office door and she was surprised to find that it was Kirigan who had opened it. The servant was gone and there was a tray of Assam tea on the table between the armchairs by the fire. He gestured for her to come in and Liliya walked towards the desk.

"Sit by the fire. I want you to be comfortable," He said. Liliya glanced back at him, raising an eyebrow but he said nothing. Taking his word, she moved over to the arm chair and sat down. He then proceeded to pour tea for both of them and she wrapped her hands around the cup, sitting back. He took his own cup and saucer, sitting back.

"Why did you keep me asleep for so long?" She asked before blowing softly on the surface of the tea. The warmth was nice. Her body felt cold and she had a feeling that it was just the after-effects of sleeping for so long. She wasn't sure but she'd warm up soon enough. Her body had been put through a lot.

"When I found you, you already seemed to be dead. Healing your wounds can only do so much, I was giving your body time to recover," He responded, taking a sip of the tea. He then placed it back down on the table.

"I always look pale," She muttered before taking a sip of tea. Nearly burning her throat but somehow managing to get away with it. She decided to instead rest the cup against her thigh. It needed to cool a little longer, "But I need to go after the boy. Have you reconsidered?," She asked. Kirigan watched her for a moment before he nodded.

"You were attacked. You will be staying at the Little Palace until I decide otherwise," He responded as they met gazes. Liliya stared at him, the frown spreading across her face. She then left forward and placed the cup down. The porcelain clattering against the saucer as she moved to stand up. Her hands pushing through her hair before she threw her hands out.

"I'm not safe at the Little Palace, Kirigan! If a Shu man can sneak in as a servant then I'm no safer here than I am in the wilderness of Ravka," Liliya argued as she stared down at the back of his armchair. Kirigan stood up and walked over to her. His hand moved to press against the small of her back and guided her to sit down. But she moved out of his grasp and went towards the door.

"Where are you going?" He asked as he watched her move. His hands resting at his side but itching to grab a hold of her. He was not going to allow her to leave.