Chapter 35

The girls had kicked all of the males out of the basement. A group of the vampires had decided to go to a local club and they invited Anna and the men. They were getting ready in the basement of the church.

Anna had spent all day avoiding Rhys. She did not want to be around Drew either because she kept thinking back to their kisses when she saw him. She convinced Huxley to go out on a hike with her so that she did not have to face either of them.

Anna pulled the dress Alice had bought her out of the bag. Alice, who slipped a black dress over her head, smiled when she saw it in Anna's hands.

"You kept it, Stretch?" she asked.

"I had to pack in a hurry," Anna said. "I grabbed everything I could."

"You know you can admit to liking things," Alice said. She turned around and lifted her curly hair. "Zip me up, please."

Anna zipped up the back of Alice's dress. Alice dug through her bag for her make-up. Anna removed her dirt caked jeans from her earlier hike with Huxley. They were joking around and slipped in the mud a few times. She changed into the red dress.

She looked around the basement to see that the vampires had broken off into groups of two and were doing each other's make-up. It must be hard to apply eyeliner when you can not see your own reflection. Alice sat down on her cot. She patted the blanket in front of her, motioning for Anna to sit down. Anna obliged.

"So tell me how your week and a half of being a vampire has been," Alice said.

Anna shrugged her shoulders.

"I should be writing midterms around now," she said. "Preparing for a war was not what I was anticipating."

Alice chuckled and it caused Anna to smile.

"How has Rhys been?" Alice asked.

"He's been stubborn and moody ever since I met him," she said.

"That would be Rhys. Have you slept with him yet?"

Anna's jaw dropped. She let out a nervous giggle and shook her head. Alice winked as she pulled out some eyeliner.

"You can tell me if you have," she said. "I promise I will not say anything."

"We have not," Anna said.

"You have kissed though, right? Made out a little."

"No."

Alice raised an eyebrow.

"Are you serious?" she said. "Rhys is all over you. He is never like that."

Anna sucked in her bottom lip. She did not know if she should mention to Alice that Rhys has fed her his blood. It seemed like a dirty secret that she was not supposed to tell anyone.

She was also unsure if she should mention Drew's kiss. She knew Rhys would be furious if he knew. She did not want it to get back to him. She knew that she could no longer confide in Huxley. If he fell into Lucia's hold again he may tell her.

"Close your eyes," Alice told Anna.

She closed her eyes and Alice applied the make-up to her face. They were silent as Alice concentrated. It left Anna alone with her racing mind. After she was finished, Anna applied Slice's make-up.

Alice brushed Anna's hair, and the tightness of worry returned to her chest.

--

Standing outside the club, in the dark and listening to the thudding music, brought Anna back to when she was at the club with Jess. The line was short and Anna was thankful because she was shivering in her short dress.