Chapter 15: Longest First Day Ever

I beg Benji to stand up but he runs his hands over his face, claiming that his headache is too extreme to get up. I realize that asking him anything or getting upset with him is useless and that he probably did what he did today for a reason. Benji definitely likes his alcohol but there are limits, I know it. Honestly, I think he's hurting.

"Benji, please," I beg him. "Stand up for me, please." He doesn't even look at me and he continues mumbling words to himself. I attempt to grab his hands to pull him up, but he's too heavy for me. "Okay, plan B," I mutter as I search his pockets for his phone.

I finally find his phone and scroll through his contacts and call Andrew, his driver. "I'm sorry," Benji mumbles to me. "I ruined your first day."

I shake my head. "You didn't ruin anything," I try to make him feel better. "I had a wonderful first day." 

Andrew eventually pulls up at the curb and I feel relieved when I see the car. I run up to the window and explain to Andrew what happened to Benji, so I ask for his help to bring him to the car. "Of course, Miss Brandy," he agrees to help.

Andrew walks over to Benji and carries him over to the car, as I watch Benji struggle to get into the car. Andrew closes the door behind Benji and I look surprised that he didn't wait for me to get in first. "You should get back, Brandy," Andrew says to me. "I can take it from here."

"No," I shake my head. "I can help -- let me help him." 

He smiles politely. "Benji would never forgive me if I let you come with us. He would want you to get back to school," he explains.

I nod disappointedly. "Okay," I agree. "Thank you, Andrew."

I walk back into the building and watch everyone take off to their first class. Although I'm in a room filled with hundreds of people, somehow I feel more alone than ever. I wish Benji was here with me to walk into our first class together, but he's off being... Benji. I just can't wait until classes are over so that I can go back to the apartment and take care of him.

My first class is Intro to Econ with none other than Becca Dante. Scared to my core, I search for her classroom and finally find it after asking a stranger for directions. If you ignore the fact that Becca is the professor, the classroom isn't all that intimidating. It's just like a large high school classroom without all of the colourful posters of encouragement.

I take my seat and wait for her to start her lecture. After five minutes, she finally appears at the front of the classroom and introduces herself again and goes over what we will be learning this semester. "Doesn't she just give you the chills?" The guy sitting beside me asks me.

I turn to him and chuckle. "Yeah," I whisper. "She's intimidating for sure." 

He laughs. "Did you see her call out that drunk kid this morning? It was hilarious."

I gulp, horrified knowing that it was that obvious he was drunk. "He was drunk?" I pretend that I don't know Benji or anything about the situation strictly to understand his point of view.

He nods, still smiling. "Duh," he giggles. "He was falling over like an idiot. God, I already love college."

I attempt a laugh. "Me too." 

"That drunk kid..." he starts, gaining my full attention. "He comes from daddy's money. Apparently, he's rich as hell. His name is Benji Cruz--already super popular. And cute."

I nod, amused by this conversation. "Yeah? What else do you know about him?" I go along with my lie. 

He shakes his head. "Not much," he answers. "Just that he's a total..." he looks around before he whispers, "Player." He laughs.