Chapter 20

I was given an hour to talk to Dream. To tell him about the situation because I wouldn't go through with it if he didn't believe I could do it. Because I know first hand what it is like to get your choices taken from you and I would never want to do the same to him.

Or maybe once he hears what I am he will want nothing to do with me but as much as it would hurt me. I will respect his choice like no one else ever did.

I barely acknowledged Sam on my way in because it would waste my time. My very little time I had left.

Once I reached Dream I didn't give him a chance to talk before I started, "We don't have much time."

And just like that I told him what DreamXD told me. I told him the story of the man and how I was the same. That something deep inside of me was capable of the same destruction.

Then I told him about the offer I was given. The chance to free him.

I watched as he studied my mouth as it moved with morbid words. Then at the end of it all, his gaze resided on his own feet.

Every thought in my head ached for him to look at me, look at my eyes. The ones poisoned with unyielding darkness.

All I needed to hear was him say he wasn't afraid of it. Afraid of me.

Because I knew the one thing that could break me was hearing him say he feared me. That would be my terrible event that activated the evil dwelling inside me.

He didn't look at me. No, his feet stayed a more interesting sight for him. "It is more commonly know as the 'dark eyes' and it is mostly something mothers would tell their children growing up. As malicious as the story is, it provided the lesson of how bottling emotions was a fatal decision for all. That if you didn't face your demons now, you would become one."

Is that what he thought of me? A demon.

"Is that how I acquired it? I didn't face my demons," I emphasized the word. Not alluding to the part of his sentence that hurt more. You would become one.

"No, most likely a repercussion of the Book of Revival. Both are ancient, powerful things." He responded.

I couldn't be the one fighting for the both of us. I don't have the strength for it but I will respect his decision nonetheless.

Even if it is being without me. Even if it tears me apart, I will respect his decision.

How can I expect him to love something that is so hateful?

He moved from where he was standing.

It was my turn to avoid looking at him because I knew based on his facial expression it would tell me all. For a second longer I didn't want to face his decision.

I didn't know what to expect when he approached me.

Dream lifted his arms and wrapped them around me. He embraced me close, his familiar warmth heating my body.

"A long time ago I needed someone to be my light, to shine away my darkness," He whispered in my ear, "Everyone else had given up and left me to become the worst version of myself, except you. You were there, not to stand idly by while I destroyed every last bit of good but a reminder of what was good. You saved me in ways I didn't know I need saving and I think it is time I repay the debt."

He pulled away from the embrace to lift my chin up to him. "We will fight one last time, together."

One last time because we were both getting tired. Tired of fighting for something that no one else deemed worthy of it.

"Don't let me kill you, kill me if you have to but don't let me stay in the dark," I told him and I mean't it.

I would be worse alive with that wicked power than dead.

I felt his finger graze my cheek. "I promise to drag you out of it, whatever it takes."

Maybe I was a fool. A fool in love with another.

But I chose to believe it.

I held out my pinky and he interlocked his with mine. We both leaned in and kissed our side. Sealing it. Like we had once done before so long ago.

I looked at the man in front of me and remembered all we had been through together but it was the thought of this being our last adventure that made my eyes glaze.

Because what if these last minutes together would be our last. Before I died last time, it was easier because we didn't know it was the end. This time we are both too aware of it.

The clock in the cell constantly clicking: Tick, Tick, Tick. A reminder of every last second we had together before the most difficult trial we have ever been through.

As the tears rolled down my cheeks, he leaned down and kissed them away.

"We have half an hour left. The only crying you should be thinking about is crying out my name from pleasure after this is over," Dream joked with a hint of truth.

He always found a way to lighten the mood. He too was my light.

I wiped my eyes and laughed. "I love you."

He didn't say it back, instead he kissed me gently.

* * *

Those thirty minutes went by too fast.

However I spent them all in his arms telling him things I wish I got to tell him sooner.

If this was my last hour on this world, I am glad I spent each second with him.