CHAPTER EIGHT

Suddenly, I found myself in a trance, perhaps it was a lucid dream. Unfortunately, the line between the spirit and physical realm had been blurred beyond belief.

The vision I saw manifested itself all around me. It resulted in me having an immersive experience. As if I were playing an interactive game.

Just another stroll under the silky caress of the silver moonlight, or so I thought as I looked up into the scintillating evening sky, until I heard the soft, melodious voice of a storyteller.

An old traditional tale, long forgotten, was being told by an elderly fisher woman, 'Mama Apeja' to entertain the village children as they gathered in front of her home and sat on beautifully dyed raffia mats. 

Gone was the meaningless chatter of talkative children, as they were captivated by the fascinating tale of kings, warriors and their spiritual encounters that Mama Eleja told.

Under a coconut tree, near the Obashola river, I rested, previously disinterested, now with new found interest in the story.

Never a person to shy away from a new experience, I approached the gathering of children, and greeted Mama warmly. A chorus of warm welcomes from the children was given to me and I was asked to sit on a bamboo chair.

Leaning back as far as the bamboo chair would permit me, I admitted it was my first time visiting Obashola village and I had come for my father's burial ceremony.

A bright spotlight was cast upon Mama's face by the moonlight as she smiled warmly at me and told me that I was welcome home, before she concluded her story.

Boys and girls dusted their clothes as they thanked her and she wished them well before they all left, walking briskly in different directions as they returned to their homes.

I thought it was just another night, under the silky caress of the moonlight, the palm trees swaying in the breeze, the faint aroma of Pepper Soup in the air, until she looked into my eyes and said, "Teniola, we have been expecting you. It is time for the prophecy to be fulfilled."

A mysterious wind blew over me and it snapped me out of my trance. The strange stillness in the air was evidence of a paranormal encounter. After looking around and seeing no sign of danger, a shallow sigh of relief escaped from my lips.

There were no snakes or dragons of any kind, big or small. Not even the odour of burning sulphur lingered in the air. Cautiously, I rose to my feet, and observed my surroundings. Left, right, up and down this time.

"Niyi?"

My mind was frantically trying to calculate the next step. 'What would I do if I could not find him?' With eyes raw from crying and lack of sleep, my search began. In the rooms, the hallway, under the staircase and even in the kitchen.

Before I could try making a phone call about his sudden disappearance, he emerged from the sitting room. He strode towards me like a victorious warrior returning from a war.

"Niyi!"

"Teniola!"

We rushed into each other's arms and held each other tight. Both of us heaved sighs of relief.

"Where were you, Teniola? I was so worried about you," Niyi said. He held me at arms length and looked at my face with love and admiration.

"Where were you, Niyi? I could not find you, and was already panicking before you came out of nowhere," I retorted.

Niyi grinned and cupped my cheeks. His smile effectively mesmerized me. Falling in love with him made me understand the saying about 'falling into someone'. It was frightening and wonderful in a special way.

"You look like you want to have my babies," Niyi teased.

"Would you prefer I had them with someone else?" I retorted.

Niyi's dazzling smile was replaced with a frown, "Sango lo ma pa eni to ba danwo. The God of thunder will kill the person who tries it."

We stared into each other's eyes for a tense moment, before I burst out laughing. "Your possessive and territorial response is hilarious."

"I do not play with my property," he stated with a shrug.

"I am not an object, Niyi."

"Are you sure?" he smirked, and played with my hair.

"Ah ahn, Niyi. Yes, of course I am sure."

His eyes fell on my lips.

My eyes fell on his. Considering that it was a light hearted moment, telling him what I saw seemed like a good idea.

"I had a vision, Niyi."

"Just now?"

"Yes."

Niyi studied my face intently. The curtains danced in the wind, and the tick tock of the wall clock sounded louder than usual. Each rhythmic sound in tune with the stillness in the air.

"Tell me about it, Teniola," Niyi said calmly.

I told him everything I saw in the trance. From the village setting, to the elderly woman who spoke with me, and the reference to the 'prophesy being fulfilled.'

He nodded thoughtfully as he listened.

"Perhaps, I need to see her again. Maybe she is part of the puzzle that needs to be put together in order to get out of this mess," I said.

"What advice do you think a fisher woman can give you on this matter, Teniola?"

I froze.

"Niyi, how do you know that the old woman was a fisher woman?"

A nerve in his jaw ticked, but he remained calm, "You told me yourself. Just now when you were narrating the story of your vision, Teniola."

I stepped backwards.

"I did not tell you about her occupation. I am quite sure that all I said was 'old woman' or mama. Let me ask you one more time...how did you know, Niyi?"

My feet got tangled with the edge of the rug, and I stumbled as I continued to walk backwards away from Niyi.

He walked towards me slowly, with his hands up, and a look on his face which I interpreted to mean, 'calm down, let me explain'. 

"Please do not walk away from me, Teniola. I can explain," he pleaded.

 I can explain," he pleaded