Chapter 17

Somehow as much as Kevin upset me with his questions during our last session, it somehow brought us closer together. I felt like I could consider him a close friend. Though it wasn't the label I was going for... I found I actually liked it.

I could count on him and with my past experience that was something in itself. Dean too had somehow made the leap to close friend. Between Kevin and Dean, my phone was always making a noise. After Maggie's death I wasnt sure I'd ever open my heart enough to trust people but somehow two very handsome and contrasting boys had made their way through my walls. I grinned as my phone beeped again with a message.

Kevin: I saw a guy pick his nose today... and eat it! He ate it Tori!!

I laughed and replied.

Me: That is really gross. Why were you watching?

His reply came not even a minute later.

Kevin: It's hard not to watch! I stared betting if he would be brave enough to eat it. I lost! I can't believe he actually did. I'm scarred Tori... do you hear me! SCARRED!

Me: What did you bet?

Kevin: Dinner... I'm going hungry tonight.

I giggled into the silence of my bedroom. Tommy slept across the room peacefully and though the clock read eleven in the evening, I couldn't sleep. Thank goodness the weekend had arrived. My phone beeped again as I was midway through replying to Kevin.

Dean: How have you been?

I smiled. I liked Dean. He was simple and easy. In a simple word, he was uncomplicated WHICH I found myself desperately looking for- no complications.

Me: Good. Tommy’s finally asleep... Ssh.

Dean: You must be happy.

Dean: I miss you.

Me: I miss you too.

I really did. Dean was the kind of person you ran to when you needed a hug or needed a friend to tell you things were okay. He was very supportive and so far, had been great to me when I needed a person to vent to. I never spoke to him about Kevin though. That felt wrong and would cause him to pick sides. I couldn't let him do that.

That meant I was alone though.

Maggie was always there to talk to when I had man problems. Now there isn't anyone who would listen and give me outrageous advice. Sometimes I would pretend she were still alive and I would talk to myself as though she were in heaven listening.

I never got answers but it did help.

Dean: I want to see you again.

Kevin: Did you fall asleep on me beautiful?

I told Dean I wanted to see him too and I ignored Kevin- not to be rude but because I didn't know what to say. He always caught me off guard when he called me beautiful. I would rather have him think I was asleep than affected by his words though, from the last time we were together, he probably knows I was.

I yawned and laid my head on my pillow. I let my phone rest next to my head. Just as my eyes were closing, I got two more messages.

Dean: I can't wait. I have something I need to talk to you about.

I wondered what he meant. I replied with a smiling face and read the other text.

Kevin: Good night Tori. Have sweet dreams beautiful.

I exited my messaging without replying to Kevin again and, switched my phone off. I looked to Tommy who still lay asleep and then climbed under the covers. Within seconds my eyes were closed and I fell asleep with a smile on my face.