Chapter Twenty-seven: The Peacekeeper

"Morning." Jewel says as I walk out of the bathroom. My eyes flick over to her. She isn't wearing her mask anymore, and her hands are clutching a coffee mug almost religiously.

Abel and Finch, who were sitting with their backs to my figure, turn and look at me as I walk over to them. I sit down next to Jewel, nodding to them. "Morning."

"Sleep well? I didn't hear you come in last night." Abel greets me, pushing a plate towards me. It has some breakfast which I gratefully accept, pushing towards me and picking up my fork.

I don't respond, instead stabbing the eggs he made for me. My action breaks the perfect orbs of yolk that have settled.

Jewel speaks after a few seconds. "How talkative, Viper."

A small snort exits me as I tilt up the cloth I'm wearing slightly and take a bite of the eggs, glancing at her. I ignore Abel's statement as I speak, easily switching the conversation to her. "How did you sleep?"

"Pretty good, honestly. You never make any noise when you sleep." She says.

I swallow the eggs and look back down to them, eating some more.

Able asks. "How do you two know each other?"

"Personal questions? At the table? Viper doesn't like those." Jewel drawls out. Another snort exits me but I don't speak, just continuing to eat. She continues after a few seconds. "I'm like you, well I used to be - for my original district. Viper helped me get on the right path of life."

"You're from District One, right?" Finch speaks up.

I don't look up over to her or move to respond. Jewel chooses to share details of who she is and then they ask questions - that is on her. She already took her mask off around them; she is infinitely more trusting than I am. I have known Abel for two years and he knows very little about me. What he does know doesn't even come from me but from the streets and the people he has asked about me.

She speaks up. "I am. Does the Jewel give me away? I always wished I had a more fun nickname."

"What's your real n-"

I cut off Finch's next question, knowing that Jewel won't like it. My words are directed at Abel, although I stay with my head ducked as I eat methodically. "Who in this district could give us an exact list of everyone under Rey?"

Abel hesitates and then speaks. "The only person I can think of is probably the peacekeeper's notary."

There is a long moment of silence before Finch speaks. Her voice is hesitant and soft, probably because she knows I won't like her getting involved. "He'll definitely know, but he will be inside the headquarters for peacekeeper's which is kind of hard to break into."

"Yeah, that's where his office is. It's pretty highly guarded, though, not that that's a problem for you." Abel adds.

I shovel a final bite of eggs into my mouth before setting down my fork and looking up and over to Abel. "Do you still have the bag I left here my last visit?"

He nods, glancing over to Finch. She meets his gaze and exhales noisily before standing and disappearing.

I look over to Jewel, trying to think. She's a bit shorter than me, which is honestly probably better because what is inside of that bag was always a bit tight for me. This will be a good way to get her involved because, unlike Kyle, whoever this notary is will have to see her face. There is really only one way to get into places like that, even with the disguise that Finch is going to come back holding, and it's flirting.