Four

This lady's house was literally on the border of California, just off the road leading to Nevada. I looked at Ross, hoping he would understand my silent begging and he sighed then nodded.

Following a silent cheer, I grabbed the rest of the bags and walked up the two steps of the porch into Anna's house. It was a cute little two storey home that smelt of roses and oranges with the hint of cookies.

"I can't thank you both enough" she smiled and opened the fridge, grabbing the milk. "I would have had to walk all this way"

"Wow, good thing you spoke to us" Ross wiped the sweat off his forehead with his forearm. "It's so hot today"

"Indeed, you two can go mess around in the pool, I'll be making dinner and cookies" Anna stopped me from complaining. "No, I'm doing this because I have fallen in love with you two cuties"

"Thank you so much" I gave her a hug. "Come on"

It was blazing outside, even with my old Levi's rolled up and my feet in the pool. It didn't take long until a loud splash was heard and Ross was in the pool. "Come in, it's lovely"

"I don't have a bikini to change into, my feet will be okay" I smiled. Suddenly his hand wrapped around my ankle and I screamed before he pulled me in.

I sunk down rather quickly but after doing a shimmy it of my jeans and swimming upwards. I pushed my hair back as he laughed so I swatted his arm. "Ow!"

"You idiot" I shook my head, placing my jeans to dry on the side. "These are my favourite ones! And now I'll have to change!"

"We'd have to shower anyways so stop fussing over this so much" he leaned on the side. "What's the point of living if you don't take risks?"

"See" I pushed my sunglasses higher up my nose. "I don't understand you sometimes. You say that you smoke to die but then give me the most inspirational sentence about living"

"I may be due to die but it doesn't mean I'm not living"

"What?" My eyes widened.

"It's nothing, I'm kidding" he shook his head. "Wait here"

He clambered out with a grunt. "Nice chicken legs"

"Don't judge my chicken legs okay" he laughed and opened his backpack, grabbed the camera and sat on the side. "Update us"

"Well, we've just arrived at Anna's house, Anna is our new and first road trip friend and we're in her pool"

"And you're leaning on my knees"

"Yeah, basically. It's so hot!"

"It really is, you may have to spray me with the hose before I go in"

"Yeah, maybe, it's too hot to put into words. Wanna race me around the pool?"

"It's on, Blondie number 2"

He turned off the camera and slid back in where we both swam for God knows how long. I just didn't want it to end yet.

+++

I sat on the ground drying my hair, Ross' damp head on my leg as he scrolled through Twitter. We spent the day outside by the pool, then made the salad for dinner, ate with Anna and I have just finished my shower.

"Cookies are ready" Anna walked in with a plate of cookies and he sat up and took one with a smile. In seconds it was gone.

Anna sat opposite us on the couch and grabbed her knitting stuff. "I have never seen such peaceful kids like you two, the kids around here are just a mess"

"Thank you, that's really nice" Ross smiled at her.

"It's no big deal" she winked. "And also, you remind me of Tim and I"

"Who was Tim?" I asked.

She sighed softly and put down her knitting stuff. "Fetch me those two photos"

One of them was a young couple in the 50's I assume, the other was of Anna and some other smiley old man.

"This was me and Tim, summer of '56" she smiled at the image. "Almost 60 years ago"

"You guys look happy" I commented.

"And we were, I met Tim in school. He was a popular guy with a handful of girls chasing him, and I, well I was a bookworm. He brought me out of my shell, made me feel like a new person" she said. "We did everything together until he took me on a date, and then another, and another. On the third date, we kissed at my doorstep just as my dad opened the door"

Ross laughed. "Amelia's dad caught me hugging her when we were 14 and he nearly killed me"

"Oh yeah, that was embarrassing" I chuckled.

"We were the best of friends, just like you two" Anna began knitting again.

"Where's Tim?" I asked bluntly. "If you don't mind me asking?"

She sighed softly. "Tim passed away two weeks ago from a heart attack. Ever since I've just been here, haven't brought myself to get out of the house properly except from today. We had an awful argument before he went into hospital but we made up and he passed away peacefully, in my arms"

I wiped the tears forming in my eyes. That's how soft I am. "That, is the cutest and also saddest thing I have ever heard"

Ross put an arm around my shoulders. And chuckled, but he was slightly teary also. "Fluff ball"

"One piece of advice is, no matter what you do just stick together- dating or not, your friendship will last forever" Anna smiled. We nodded at the same time and she smiled wider. I yawned. "Now, how about I show you both to your room. I apologise that it's so small but it's our daughter's room when she comes down, and you'll have to share a bed, unless one of you's sleeps in mine and I take the couch"

"No, no don't trouble yourself" Ross said as we got upstairs, me panting beside them. "I'll be fine, Amelia will collapse any time soon but she'll be okay"

They both laughed at my state. "I...don't exercise...ever"

"We can tell honey" Anna opened the door to a pretty pink room. It was so cosy. "Here we are, I'll leave you both to get ready to sleep. Goodnight you two!"

"Night Anna!" We exclaimed and she walked downstairs.

"She's adorable" Ross said as I sat down and nodded. "I'll be brushing my teeth, coming?"

"But I just sat down" he blinked. "Fine"

We had a sort of jam session in the bathroom to his favourite songs as we brushed our teeth and I had a chance to change into my t-shirt and pyjama shorts.

He was already laying down when I came back so I closed the door and laid beside his warm shirtless body.

"I feel like a box" I commented and he laughed. I turned over so I was facing him. "But dude, this road trip is going too well! I'm loving it, can we go to Vegas for a few nights?"

"Sure, I guess there are a few motels in Vegas we can crash at. I've always wanted to stay at a motel like in the police series where the victims goes and has se-"

"Okay" I cut him off. "Let's not get too keen"

"So you're saying" his hand was now on my waist and pushing me towards him. "You wouldn't have sex with me? Your best friend?!"

"Well no-yes, I don't know! Depends on the circumstances" I scratched my head. "Why would you go for me anyways?"

"Because you're far more attractive than you think, Lia" his nose was now against my cheek. "And we actually get along so what's the damage?"

"You mean friends with benefits?" I asked and he nodded. I held his gaze for a while until he burst out laughing. I smacked his chest and I doubt he felt much.

"I'm kidding" he pulled the blanket over us and turned over.

It stung slightly, but it was too good to be true anyways.

His voice became quieter. "I was kidding about the friends with benefits. I'd still fuck you any day"