Chapter 45 - Betrayal Revealed

"Agent Danvers, Stop!" J'onn says, again, still holding Alex's hand back from striking the bloody and bruised Lillian Luthor once more.

"She deserves this, J'onn! She tried to kill Alura! She is the one responsible for Kara being exposed to that red substance! She turned James against us all!" Alex says, angrily, turning around to look at the DEO director.

Lillian chuckles again.

"I did no such thing." Lillian smirks, "Mr Olsen was the one who came to me, not the other way around. He came to me asking for my help to put a stop to my daughter's involvement with the Kryptonian. At first I attempted to go about that matter in a more discrete manner. I had hoped I could have talked my daughter out of such foolish involvements, and attachments. But alas, I was not successful. So that is when Mr Olsen came to me again, angry that my daughter and Supergirl were still together. He has it in his mind that Luthor's are all dangerous, and we are. So maybe after that, I provided him with a method to..... bring about anger.... to put an end to the disgusting union between my daughter and that filthy alien. But I never forced Mr Olsen to do anything. I made no threats against him, or anyone, to get him to do what he did. He did everything of his own accord."

Lillian continues to smirk at Alex, despite the bruises to her face, and trickles of blood running down her face in a few different places.

"I'm gonna wipe that smirk right off your face!" Alex yells, turning back to Lillian, going to strike her again.

"Stop!" J'onn says, firmly, grabbing a hold of Alex, around her waist.

"Let me do this J'onn!" Alex says, angry, as she tries to wriggle free of his grip.

"I cannot let you do this agent Danvers, this is not the way. You are better than this. You are feeling many emotions right now, and I know it all comes from a place of you wanting to protect the people you love, your sister and Alura at the top of that list. But you cannot protect the people you love in this manner. Violence like this only brings back more violence. If you continue down a path like this, darkness will consume you, and you may never escape from it." J'onn says.

Alex just thinks on J'onn's words for a moment, and her gaze looks over at Lillian and she sees what she has done to the Luthor. Alex knows that Lillian deserves all this, and so much more. But if Alex continues like this, she may never be able to look herself in the mirror again. Alex has always just wanted to protect Kara, that has been her goal laid out for her by Eliza, ever since Kara came to this planet. So of course the logical conclusion of that would be to take out all threats to Kara, including Lillian Luthor. As a teenager Alex may have resented the fact that her mother placed that burden on her shoulders, but as an adult she has embraced it, and since Alura was born, with her now having a niece, she is more determined than ever. But at the same time, Alex knows that if she continues to do things like this, then she may lose the very people that she is trying to protect. Alex thinks that Kara is better than her in this regard, as she has such optimism for people, hope for all. This means that even after what Lillian has done to her and Alura, Kara would never just beat on her like this, Kara's just not like that. But if Kara were to see Alex now, she would be ashamed of her, and that IS something that Alex can't live with.

Alex soon goes limp in J'onn grip, now regretting what she has done, her need for vengeance disappearing, even if her anger doesn't.

"I'm sorry J'onn.... I'm so sorry... I.... I let you down...." Alex says in a sombre tone, turning her back to Lillian and looking at J'onn.

"It's okay. You made a mistake. I know that this came from a place of love, not because you feel this is the right way to do things. Emotions are powerful things, and sometimes they make us make rash decisions." J'onn replies, placing a hand on Alex's shoulder.