twenty nine

Luci

"Was that Saint's car?" Celia asked.

I had walked into the house and threw my jacket onto the couch. I made a straight line to the fridge and ignored her presence.

"Maybe," I shrugged.

She followed me to the kitchen and waited patiently behind me.

"So..." she began. "He was parked outside for a while. What did you guys talk about?"

Wouldn't you like to know?

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I had to at least cooperate with her. She was trying to get back on my good side, so I decided that the least I could do was trick her into thinking she was.

"He wants to be friends," I replied curtly.

I took out a water bottle from the fridge and began to drink it. Celia watched me quietly until I finished. She was acting odd. They all were. It was as if they calculated every little word they said to me. They were trying to be careful.

"Really?" she asked. "I mean that's... I don't know what to say. So are you two friends now?"

I slammed my water bottle down onto the countertop. I was irritated with the way she was asking the questions. If she had been a good friend to me this past month, I wouldn't have had to explain anything to her.

"Did you fuck Khalil on my bed?" I asked. "Since we're asking questions all of a sudden."

Her eyes went wide and she backed a few inches away from me. "What? No, no way Luci. I would never do that," she replied. "And besides you know I'm with Marcus."

I laughed and took a long sip of water. I lifted my eyebrows and threw her a knowing look.

"You're not with Marcus," I reminded her. "You're fucking Marcus. There's a difference."

I knew I was being a bit harsh, but I was so sick of her shit. "You want a relationship but he doesn't. Right now you two are playing a game of cat and mouse but Marcus doesn't know that he's involved in this game."

"Why would you say that?" her voice cracked.

I shrugged and walked around her to go sit on the living room couch. "Because it's true," I replied. "I told you two that this would happen. You value stability and he doesn't."

She rounded the couch and sat down next to me. There was a frown on her lips and she folded her hands together. I knew she wanted to say something about my previous statement, but she decided not to.

"I know," she sighed. "He hasn't really talked to me. I don't know what's wrong."

He's messing with other girls, that's what's wrong.

As much as I was not a fan of Celia, I did pity her at this moment. She was the type of person that loved hard and she didn't deserve the way he was treating her.

"I have a question."

"And I might have an answer," she replied.

I rolled my eyes at her sarcastic response and continued, "Why didn't you tell me you were a demon?" I asked. "I keep thinking about it and the more I do, the less sense it makes."

She leaned her body against the couch and looked up at the ceiling. I knew she was thinking about how to carefully respond to me.

"When we were sent here," she said. "Lucifer gave us a short but direct list of instructions. One of the instructions was that we had to let you live as much of a normal life as possible. He didn't want you tied in with all of this demon mess."