6. The Promise (Danail)

The moment I lead Prince Dai Stial inside my tent, another shout comes from the watchtower.

   "Sky diveeers! From the sooouth," the man screams to the top of his lungs, "white and silveeer!"

   Sai and I look at each other.

   "Your father is coming," I point the obvious, unable to find anything better to say.

   Is he hurrying to erase the whole camp from the face of the Earth as a revenge for kidnapping his son? Or, maybe, he was informed that his greatest enemy is here and comes to meet him in battle. Whatever the reason, nothing good can come out of this. There will be no survivors either on the ground or in the sky, if the two fleets engage in confrontation. I doubt that the kings are that blinded by fury, but I need to take all the necessary precautions and save as many men as I can. I won't leave this to my father. The lives of his subjects never mattered much to him.

   "Tar!" I yell.

   My best friend immediately appears at the entrance and bows before us, "At your service, My Lords!"

   "You don't have to, my friend," Sai says calmly, gesturing to him to straighten up. "No need of formalities."

   "Gather my personal squad," I order. "Tell them to prepare for fight. Get ready for immediate evacuation if necessary. No dress uniforms. I want everyone in this camp in combat fatigues. The commanders are to quickly brief their men once again of all the retreat routes. We will fight only on the ground. Infantry and cavalry are useless, if the divers are involved. I don't want a single person out there in the open, if they load the cannons. Me, you and Lord Malderyn will be the last standing to release the red mist..."

   "But, My Prince," Tar interrupts me hesitantly. "Lord Bardal won't be happy. He ordered to prepare for the ceremony. The king..."

   "Do as I say," I sternly retort.

   "Yes, My Lord," Tar nods and runs out.

   "They won't fight," Sai whispers. "There was one thing only both our fathers wanted. They will not achieve it with weapons. Thousands of people died because of it. They must have understood by now that this is not the way and they can't stop fate."

   "What is it that they want?" I quickly ask, impatient to finally learn the reason for my exile during the last ten years.

   "You're not ready," Sai firmly states, shaking his head. "It's too late anyway. What they fought against so severely, already happened."

   He directs his gaze at me and the swirls of pink sparkles engulf all my thoughts.

   "You don't know me. You have no reason to believe me. I'm one of your enemies," he speaks insistently, "but this is important. I beg you to trust me blindly, Dey."

   He falls on his knees and lowers his head. It makes my heart shrink for some reason. Dai Stial should never kneel. Not even for me. I reach to grab his shoulders and make him stand up, but he bends lower, almost lying on the ground at my feet, avoiding my touch.

   "No, my prince! It's forbidden," he utters. "Not yet! Please, will you do as I ask?"

   "Why do you want me to trust you? What do you want me to do?" I mumble, startled at my sudden recklessness and his posture.

   "Only to say 'Yes', when the time comes, and choose as your heart guides you," he breathes out with his forehead still touching the ground.

   "Raise! I will," I confirm, unable to bare the sight anymore. I'm surprised at my words, but also know deep in my soul that no other answer is possible.

   "Thank you!" he whispers.

   It becomes dark outside. The Dessert King's divers completely obscure the sun over the camp. The ominous howl of war horns fills the air with terrifying anticipation.

   "He will attack. We need to go," I urge Sai to get up, offering him my hand.

   He jumps up without touching it. I completely forgot about the taboo again.

   "Either you're very brave or very foolish, or you don't believe in superstitions," he smiles. "My father won't do anything. Just don't forget what you promised."

   The view outside is both beautiful and terrifying. Six enormous ships are hanging over the camp as an omen of death. The white ones are menacingly facing the black ones, all similar except the color. The two vultures from the Desert King's coat of arms look as if they are ready to attack and claw at the eyes of my father's horses.

   "Quickly! Go to the front," my mother runs to us, awkwardly stumbling over the hem of her enormous, white ball gown. Her glare tells me that she doesn't approve that I didn't change my clothes.

   I can't help but snort through laughter, despite the tense situation. I didn't even know that she had such attire here. Her hair is lifted in a complicated braided, piled updo, adorned with diamonds. She's beautiful, but so out of place here.

   The soldiers are lined up in tight rows, facing a wide wooden platform with two carved golden thrones, upholstered in red velvet. I nod in approval, seeing that every man is armed to the teeth and in light, leather combat clothing. The lords from the Supreme Council are at the front. Only lord Bardal is wearing a pompous, heavy, blue parade uniform, glaring daggers at me. I gloat at how mad father will be, seeing that his welcome ceremony is not exactly according to the rules.

   We stand at the foot of the platform, me and Sai on both sides of the queen, waiting for the king to appear.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 6!

Thank you for reading and supporting my new story! ❤❤❤

So, the Desert King is here too. Did you expect it?

What do you think Dey will have to say 'Yes' for?

We will meet king Dorth's favorite pet in next chapter. Any theories what it is? 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny