Chapter 13 - Shut Doors, No One is Allowed Out

How come the guard disciple had no demonic energy? Wasn't he the demon that killed and used the female disciples as human cauldrons?

Wei Wuxian's eyebrows furrowed. His forehead wrinkled from distraught."Then... what exactly is going on?" Abruptly, a loud noise festered.

The door to the room was kicked off their hinges.

In came the rest of the three couples. Hua Cheng and Xie Lian came in, carrying the second of the two guard disciples (knocked out unconscious). Apparently, the other guard disciple thought to attack them while their buddy attacked Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan. Unfortunately for them, they were defeated in response.

"You were attacked as well?" Wei Wuxian questioned.

"Mhm." Xie Lian nodded. "Oh, but don't worry. San Lang's got everything." He shot his lover a look, who responded with a gentle smile.

Shen Qingqiu and Luo Binghe were unharmed. They entered the room as well, examining the two knocked out guarding disciples. "...did you figure anything out?"

Wei Wuxian had a dark face. "There's no trace of demonic energy in them."

"What?" As a half demon himself, Luo Binghe was astonished. He rushed to both of the unconscious guard disciples, then felt around their dantian. Indeed, there was no demonic energy. "How could that be? If they're not the demons attacking the Mo Clan, then why did they attack us?"

The remaining cultivators held their chin and fell deep in thought.

Finally, Xie Lian snapped his fingers. "We should question the guard disciples."

"Good idea." Wei Wuxian piped in.

Xie Lian took out Ruoye, the white bandage, then wrapped it around the two disciples. The two guard disciples were rendered immobile. The three couples waited for some time. It was then the immobile guard disciples regained their consciousness. Waking up, the first of the two struggled to escape from Ruoye's hold, but was instead tightened.

"Don't try to escape." Lan Zhan opened his mouth. "Answer our questions properly, or else we'll kill you."

The guard disciples had their mouth covered by Ruoye. Their eyes widened in fear, and noticed the blade of Bichen held up against their necks. With no choice, they could only nod their heads.

Shen Qingqiu stepped forwards. "Were there any strange activities around the Clan Gate?"

The guard disciples shook their heads.

"You're lying." Xie Lian piped in. He frowned, "There were obviously many guest cultivators who visited-" Abruptly, he shut up. Something seemed to go off in his brain.

"What's wrong, Gege?" Hua Cheng nudged gently.

Xie Lian's eyebrows furrowed. "We never got to see the guest cultivator's bodies. Only the female deceased... do you know what that means?"

"Does that mean..." Wei Wuxian seemed to get a grasp. "The bodies of the guest cultivators have something that the female deceased ones don't?"

"The opposite." Xie Lian shook his head thoughtfully. "The female deceased bodies have something that the others don't..."

Silence ensued.

Finally, Xie Lian spoke up. "I want to go steal Mo Huanhan's alchemy book. There is something in there that might fulfill my suspicion."

"I'll go with you." Wei Wuxian nodded.

Shen Qingqiu piped in. "Binghe and I will go and find the bodies of the guest cultivators. We may be able to realize how they died and find the exact culprit."