Chapter 59

"Just 'cause you carry that shield, it doesn't mean you're Captain America." You snap this time, avoiding looking in their direction, keeping your eyes ahead.

"Look, I've done the work, okay?"

"You ever jump on top of a grenade?" Bucky asked him, remembering when you told him that Steve did and you would have if the small boy hadn't beat you to it.

"Yeah actually, I have. Four times. It's a thing I do with my helmet, It's a reinforced helmet. It's a long story, but, any—Look, it's 20 miles to the airport, shes not gonna make it that far. You guys need a ride. Guys." John urges, opening the back door. "Gary, stop. Get in." The car stops and so do you. Bucky, Sam and you exchange looks before sighing and hopping in the back of the truck. "Okay, so we've got eight Super Soldiers on a bulk supply run. Why?" John asks, looking to your trio to answer his question.

"They say their mission is to get things back to the way it was during The Blip, maybe they're just trying to help." Sam suggested.

"They had a funny way of showing it." Bucky turned to them as they continued to speak. You sat on the right side of Bucky, looking out at the roadside as you passed, fields of green grass.

"That serum doesn't exactly have a great track record. No offence." John directed the last part towards you and Bucky as you snapped back into the reality of the situation.

"You alright?" Bucky tilted his head to face you as he noticed you spacing out. You only replied with a fake smile and silent nod, pressing the cloth closer to your side.

"We need to figure out where they're going. How'd you track 'em here? The Flag Smashers?" Sam questioned the two men sat across from you.

 How'd you track 'em here? The Flag Smashers?" Sam questioned the two men sat across from you

"Uh, no, we didn't track them, we tracked you, uh, through Redwing." Lamar scratched his head awkwardly.

"You hacked my tech?"

"Sorry. It's not exactly hacking, It's government property, kind of the government." John pointed to himself at the last words. "Does he always just stare like that?" John asks as Bucky stares intensely at him.

"You get used to it." You answered bluntly.

"Okay, look," John started, clearing his throat. "you know, things have gotten kind of, uh"

"chaotic." Lemar helps out his friend.

"Yeah. The GRC, they're doing the best they can to get things up and running smoothly, post Blip." John continues.

"Reactivating citizenship, social security, healthcare. Basically just managing resources for the refugees who were displaced by the return." Lamar continued for his friend.

"The Global Repatriation Council does all that, I get that. So why exactly are you two here?" Sam questioned tiredly.

"Well, they provide the resources and we keep things stable."

"Yeah, violent revolutionaries aren't usually good for anyone's cause." John carry's on after Lamar.

"Usually said by the people with the resources." Sam comments.

"We got a lot of resources. If you guys—if you joined up with us, we could—" John starts again.

"No." You and Bucky's both turned to face him at the same time when you both spoke sternly.

"I got mad respect for both of y'all but you were getting your asses kicked till we showed up." Lamar talks down to you.

"Who are you?" You glared at him

"Lamar Hoskins." He answers with a wink, making you huff in frustration and focus back on your wound as Bucky tenses up next to you.

"Look, I see a guy hanging out of a helicopter in tactical gear, I need a lot more than Lamar Hoskins." Sam speaks up.

"I'm Battlestar, John's partner."

"'Battlestar'?" You raised an eyebrow.

"But you can call me whatever you want" he smirked towards you. With another groan you rolled your eyes and leaned back in your seat, avoiding looking to the man across from you.

"Stop the car!" Bucky calls up front.

"Look, I-I get it, okay? I get the attitude, I do. You didn't think that the shield was gonna end up here." John starts to shout at you as the truck pulls to a stop on the side of the road. You jumped out with a stumble, followed a moment later by Bucky who slammed the door shut as they continued to call after you both.

"Call me anytime girl!" Lamar calls after you as you and Bucky begin to walk away. All you do is keep on moving forward, trying not to lash out.

"Don't talk to her!" Bucky glares back at the man before continuing behind you. Your fists where gripped tightly around the bloodied cloth as you stormed off with anger, a long time friend catching up to you in no time.

"I don't want to talk about it" you warn him as he walks beside you and watches carefully.

"Good, because I don't either" he sighs.

——————————————————-
Question of the day: what did you think of Lamar Hoskins?

I have lots of new ideas for story's that I will be writing this summer so be on the lookout for those!