Chapter 63

"All right. All right. Good. Fine."

"We're locked in." Sam stated to the doctor who smiled smugly at the two men.

"That's a little close." Bucky said as you tried to hold in your laughter.

"Very close. That's what you wanted, right?"

 That's what you wanted, right?"

"Guys, good. Now look at each other. You need to look at each other in the eyes." Raynor tells them as they refused to make eye contact. "There, you see? That wasn't so hard." She comments as they finally follow as told. The two start to stare intensely into each other's eyes as you stifle a laugh. "Wait, what are you doing? Are you having a staring contest? Just blink." She snaps in between them and causes them both to blink and look back to her. "Sweet Jesus. All right, James, why does Sam aggravate you? And don't say something childish." She warns as he gives her a joking smile.

"Why did you give up that shield?"

"Why are you making such a big deal out of something that has nothing to do with you?"

"Steve believed in you, he trusted you. He gave you that shield for a reason. That shield, that is—that is everything he stood for, that is his legacy. He gave you that shield, and you threw it away like it was nothing." Bucky let's out his thoughts to Sam.

"Shut up." Sam urges.

"So maybe he was wrong about you. And if he was wrong about you, then he was wrong about me." Bucky's voice shook at the end as he leaned forward with intensity. You stumbled back a bit and let your guard fall as you heard the words come from his mouth. You braced yourself against the wall as you tried to recollect yourself.

"You finished?" Sam asked as he sat back in his chair once again.

"Yeah."

"All right, good. Maybe this is something you or Steve will never understand. But can you accept that I did what I thought was right?" Bucky only looks into his lap as Sam scoffs at his reaction. "You know what, Doc? I don't have time for this. We have some real serious shit going on. So how about this? I will squash it right now. We go deal with that and when we're done, we both can go on separate, long vacations and never see each other again" Sam suggests.

"I like that." Bucky added his side on the suggestion.

"Great. Well, let's get to work. Thanks, Doc, for making it weird. I feel much better, I'll see you outside." He pat Bucky on the shoulder as he stood to leave.

"Thank you, that was really great!" She called back as he left. Bucky then stood to follow as you stayed in your place. "I know that look. What's wrong?" She asked the former Hydra agent as he paused in the doorway.

"What was rule number two again?"

"Don't hurt anyone."

"Goodbye, Doc." He walks out.