10 : Lizard Unmasked

CHAPTER TEN
━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

CHAPTER TEN━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

Mae Evans is stuck in a dilemma.

She anxiously bites her nails with her elbow propelled on Gwen's study desk against her window, her mind spiraling in thought. Peter Parker has a secret, which is Mae almost sure she figured out. She tries to recall every time Peter has avoided a question regarding the masked hero who swung around the city. And the truth? He never indulges in conversation that has Spider-Man in it.

Except that one time Peter and Captain Stacy had gotten into an argument about the newbie hero. The memory of that conversation gets Mae to wonder more about her friend and his secrets. He did get rather defensive about Spider-Man, she thinks. A bit too defensive, in fact.

Clearly, Peter has personal connections with Spider-Man; perhaps he even knows his true identity.

Despite all her allegations, Mae isn't completely sure about this either. If he knew who Spider-Man truly was, he wouldn't be so against the idea of the masked hero helping them. Mae knows that Peter isn't dumb enough to truly believe they won't need Spider-Man's help in taking down the Lizard. But the fact that he's denying this has the honey blonde girl jarred.

There is one explanation for this, but Mae shakes that out of all possibilities.

The sound of knocking grabs her attention from her thoughts. She twirls around towards the door and meets the familiar silver blonde, her hair knotted into a high ponytail, features sharp as her sapphire stained eyes look at Mae.

"Still thinking about the Lizard?" Gwen asks, allowing herself into the room and plopping on her bed behind Mae.

Mae groans, "There's nothing else to think about is there? I never thought a lizard would be the one to steal my nights-- I can't even sleep in peace."

Gwen laughs, raising an eyebrow sarcastically."Really?" She says, a smirk brewing on her face. "I thought Peter would be the one."

Mae flushes red as she realises what Gwen means. She widens her eyes. "What? No!" She blushes profusely avoiding her eyes.