Chapter 97

"We should never have let Simon come," Clary said as she paced worriedly.

"Yeah, because we wanted him to come," Serena replied sarcastically as she picked at her nails, her brother sitting next to her.

"He didn't exactly give us a choice," Jace agreed. "And, you know, you can't really blame him. If I were him, I'd never leave your side either."

The look Clary gave him was quite conflicted before Simon came all but running towards them from the trees, the Queen on his tail.

"Is everything ok?" Clary asked and he gave her a nervous smile.

"Great. We need to go right now," he said as he tried to pull her away only for Jace and Serena to stop them.

"Your Majesty, with your permission, we should take our leave. I am still to make an appearance at the cabinet meeting," Serena explained calmly.

"But you've only just arrived," the Queen said, and vines grew from the ground, holding Jace and Simon in place.

Serena ran towards her brother but Koralie grabbed her arm, giving her a knowing look and Serena knew what this was for.

"It's futile to struggle," the Queen said as the boys looked up to her. "Vitis veritas. Enchanted vines that only obey me."

The vines crept their way around their legs and arms, wrapping around their torsos as they squeezed tight.

"What are you doing?! Let them go?! Serena, do something!" Clary exclaimed.

"I can't. It's punishment, Clary. We killed her people," the blonde explained as she looked to her brother with tears in her eyes.

"What? We didn't kill anyone!" Simon said.

"I told you, the birds, bees and bugs are all in my service," the Queen reminded, and it dawned on Clary.

"The gnats at the Kill Tree. They were on his glove. That's what Serena buried."

"What? That bug I killed?"

"But that can't seriously mean..."Clary began.

"Though they were returned to the Earth, their deaths require justice," the Queen cut her off, a dark look on her otherwise innocent face.

"Your Majesty, please, I must beg of you. Please do not kill my brother. We tried to prevent it. Please, he is my other half," Serena begged and the Queen strode over to her, gently wiping the tears from her face.

"It is because of you, Sweet Little Serena, and the fact that you gave them a proper burial, along with a Shadowhunter farewell, that I'll give you the chance to save them."

"Thank you, My Queen. What must I do?"

"Oh, no. I did not mean you. The only way to save them is if Clary plays a game."

Serena looked to the redhead.

"What kind of game?" Jace asked at the same time Simon said,

"A game sounds better."

"It's simple really. All I ask, is a kiss," the Queen said as she moved to stand upon the dais.

"You want one of us to kiss you?" Clary asked, confused.

"The game isn't for me. It's for you, Clary. The kiss that will set them free, is the kiss you most desire," the Queen explained, and Serena returned her gaze to Clary.

"I suggest you move quickly. Once the vines reach their necks, the boys will be dead, dead, dead."

The vines had just reached their shoulders, reaching for their necks.

"Jace was wrong. This is exactly like middle school," Clary said turning back to him.

"Clary, just kiss me so we can go home," Simon said and it was Clary's hesitation that gave it away. Who she really wanted to kiss.

Clary kissed Simon but nothing happened.

"Why are the vines still here?" she asked.

"Why do you think?" the Queen answered with a smirk.

"I did what you asked," Clary said as the Queen smiled as if she could smell the lie.

"Clary, kiss him. I will not have my brother die because of this, so just kiss him!" Serena urged, Koralie still holding her arm.

"Clary?" Simon choked and Serena began to fight against Koralie, the Seelie knight then moving to hold both her arms as she watched her brother choke.

"You can fool yourself but not the Vitis veritas," said the Queen and Clary looked from her to Jace.

"Clary do it!" Serena shouted.

"This means nothing," She said to Jace who weakly nodded as she stormed over.

And their lips met.

But where her kiss with Simon had been short and sweet, her kiss with Jace was long and passionate.

But Serena didn't care. All she cared about was the sigh of relief that escaped her as she realised that the vines were letting them go.

The vines were all gone when Clary finally pushed Jace away, disgusted at herself and shocked at her actions.

The Queen's smile was wicked as she watched, Jace gasping for air as his face remained steeled but confusion, hurt and longing glittered his eyes.

Eyes that turned to his sister, Koralie finally letting go of her as she ran into Jace's arms and Clary turned to Simon who had the most hurt, heartbroken look on his face as his eyes lined with tears.

Clary then whirled on the Queen. "Why the hell would you do that?! This is our lives, not some game!"

The Queen only gave her a dark look in return as Serena and Jace pulled apart, Serena standing protectively in front of her brother, a hand still on his arm.

"If it weren't for Serena, you all would be dead. You killed my people. So be glad that you played the game."

"Your Highness, are we free to go?" Serena questioned.

"Oh yes. It seems one of you already has," she smiled, and they turned to see Simon gone.

Clary took a pained breath. 

"Simon."