17| acceptance

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

One thing bothered me all night and still has me perplexed, even now as I'm sitting here tuning a guitar. I know it's not my business to pry into anyone's business, believe me I've had enough experiences that taught me that, but I can't get over the fear in Dove's voice. Never before in my life had I heard someone so genuinely terrified. All that she gave away was something that had happened. Whatever happened must have been awful. I go over the call in my head over and over, still drawing a blank on what could have upset her. There were no sounds in the background, just her and dead silence. When I got to her house, everything seemed normal. I just don't know what could have happened.

The basement door opens and the creaking stairs convince me to put my guitar down. If it's Damon, he's come to taunt me. Adonis? Probably asking if I want whatever she's made for breakfast. Then there's Dove. A complete wild card. I can't put my finger on it, but something about her shifted last night. She seemed so much more open, and happy and ready to meet all of us halfway. I hadn't seen her eyes dance with joy like that, not even when she was kicking my ass at volleyball. I wish she looked like that all the time. She deserves it.

"Hello?? Earth to Hudson!" Shit. I snap back to attention in an instant to find Dove waving her hand in front of my face.

"Good morning to you too." I'm trying my hardest not to seem like I was as lost in thought as I was.

Dove leans back, hands placed firmly on her hips. "Are you good? Your eyes were all glazed over for a second."

"Oh yeah," I give her my best smile. "Sorry 'bout that. Lost in thought is all. What's up?"

"I made breakfast tortilla wraps," she holds out a plate. "I figured since you were kind enough to come and get me last night, I might as well return the favor with breakfast. My dad used to make it for me and Lucas all the time when we were younger."

It takes everything in me not to snatch the plate from her. Not out of rudeness, but because it smells so damn good. "Speaking of last night, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Go ahead."

I carefully set the plate on my nightstand. "I promise I'm not trying to be invasive, and I wouldn't ask this under other circumstances, but uh...I'm just worried."

Dove takes the opportunity so sit across from me at the foot of the bed. "Uh huh?"

Her demeanor visibility changed. She's gone from bubbly and happy, back into that withdrawn girl I'd known up until last night. And it makes me hate myself for even bringing up this line of conversation. So, I shut it down. "Nevermind, I appreciate you making breakfast."

She glances at the plate. Then me. And it feels like my heart is being ripped to shreds when I see that tear roll down her cheek. "My ex-boyfriend pulled into the driveway right after we drove away."