40

Steve's pov:

"-And then I found you guys"

Steve had just explained every single thing that happened since the other Avengers had been kidnapped. They were all sitting in the front of the Quinjet, all except Ashlyn. Steve moved his gaze to the back of the jet where Jackson's body was laid on the floor. Ashlyn was sitting next to him on the floor with her knees pulled into her chest. Her face was turned to the window of the jet but her eyes were unfocused and Steve doubted she was really looking. The Avengers had offered to clean and mend her wounds but she declined. Steve wasn't worried, he knew she would heal on her own.

"So she killed all the hydra agents? All of them? That's impressive" Tony said as he also turned to look at the girl in the back.

"She was angry, they killed her friend," Nat said quietly.

Steve wanted to remind his teammates that Ashlyn had super hearing, but as he looked at her, her eyes glazed over, not blinking, she seemed to be in her own world.

It was another half hour before the jet touched down at the Tower. Steve steadily made his way over to Ashlyn, who hadn't moved.

"Can I?" Steve gestured to Jack's body. Ashlyn nodded once and watched carefully as Steve picked Jack up.

Ashlyn's pov:

Ash walked right past Steve and out of the jet. She ignored the eyes of the other Avengers as she made her way through the doors on the Tower. Sudden footsteps could be heard and Ash turned her head in time to see Maya running down the hallway towards her. Maya opened her mouth to speak but Ash beat her to it

"Where's Liam?" She asked quickly because knew what Maya was going to ask her and she wasn't ready to answer that question.

"He's sleeping on the couch" Maya breathed out, as she tried to catch her breath. Ash nodded and began walking in the direction of Avenger's living room. Maya followed right behind her.

"Where's Jack?"

Ash stopped at the question. Maya's voice wasn't one of curiosity, she knew what had happened, she had heard it. Ash guessed that like herself, Maya just didn't want to admit what she knew was true.

"Where's Jack? Ash answer me! Please I-" Maya grabbed Ash's wrist to stop her from walking even further away. Ash didn't make any effort to get free of Maya's grip. Instead, she spun slowly and looked Maya in the face.

"Maya..." Ash said although It came out as more of a whisper.

Maya could see the tears that were attempting to leave Ash's eyes, Ash blinked them back, now was not the time. Maya began shaking her head.

"No...." Her voice cracked as she slowly backed away from Ash, still shaking her head. "No, he can't be-" Maya froze, her gaze was fixed on something behind Ash. Ash spun around and felt her heart sink. Steve had just walked in with Jack's limp form in his arms. Ash turned back to Maya who was just standing there. Her lips were slightly parted and her eyes were wide.

Maya suddenly turned and ran right past the Avengers, who were also walking inside, and out of the Tower. Ash didn't stop her, Maya had been the closest to Jack after all.

Again, Ash ignored the Avengers who had just witnessed that whole scene take place. Ash turned again and kept walking down the hallway. When she finally made it to the living room, she could see the small body of Liam calmly sleeping on the couch. Ash plopped herself down right next to him. Her eyes slowly became droopy and she didn't stop them from slowly closing. She had used her powers today, more than she would have liked. She had channeled anger into power and now she was exhausted, both physically and mentally. Jack had wanted freedom and died before he got it.

Oliver was going to pay...

Ash was going to make him pay.

Steve's pov:

Steve had given Jack's body to a few SHIELD agents so that they could properly clean him up. Tony, Bucky, and Nat all followed him down the hallway in the same direction Ashlyn had gone, while the others went to their rooms to get themselves cleaned up. As Steve walked into the living room, he was met with a very precious sight. Liam was sprawled on the couch, sleeping peacefully and Ash was laying right next to him, also asleep.

"She looked tired on the jet, maybe we should let her sleep?" Nat suggested as she accepted a glass of whiskey from Tony.

Steve expected Tony to protest with the assassin spending the night in his Tower without handcuffs on but he was surprised when Tony nodded in agreement.

"Steve can put her in one of the guest bedrooms"

"Who's the kid?" Asked Bucky

"Maya's brother, also from the orphanage." Steve had learned a lot about Maya and Liam while they were making their plan of attack. He had also learned a bit about their relationship with Jackson, they seemed close...

"We can put him in another guest room" Tony offered and Steve nodded.

Steve stepped forward and carefully lifted Ashlyn off the couch. He was worried that she would wake up but Ashlyn just shifted in his arms and remained sound asleep which made Steve smile a bit.

Bucky carried Liam and followed Steve into the elevator.

"How much do you think he heard?" Bucky asked as he gestured toward Liam.

"Hopefully not too much," Steve said.