thirty

Saint

: just friends - keshi

The weekend was a blur.

Everyone in my family had been ignoring me except for the twins, and I had actually managed to give Luci space for an entire weekend. It had been difficult, but I was desperately trying to give the "friends" thing a try.

It was Monday morning and I had woken up early and driven down to her apartment complex. I supposed I should've told her that I was picking her up, but an entire weekend without seeing her had been long enough.

I sat in my car and waited for her to walk out. Kate sat in the backseat slumping. She had voiced her discontent earlier about me picking up Luci, but I ignored her bitterness.

"Do we have to pick her up?" she groaned. "Why can't we just go straight to school."

Rolling my eyes, I turned my head back and glared at her.

"I told you to keep your comments regarding Luci to yourself," I said. "And if you don't like me picking her up, then you can walk to school. Or fly, I don't care."

Kate huffed and remained silent. I shook my head and watched as Luci's front door swung open. She walked out with her small backpack around her shoulder and to my surprise, Celia was next to her. The pair seemed to be arguing.

Celia tried placing an obnoxious-looking headband on Luci's head but she was not having it.

"Luci, you have to wear this!" Celia complained. "How else would everyone know?"

Luci dramatically threw the headband down onto the floor and rolled her eyes.

"I don't want anyone to know," she replied. "And I told you if I can't invite him, then I'm not going to your place today."

Celia groaned and it was then I noticed Khalil was behind them, locking the door. He whipped his back when he heard her last statement and narrowed his eyes.

"Luci," he said slowly. "Are you sure you don't want to go? Didn't you leave something at Celia's place that you have to retrieve?"

Celia looked back and forth between the two and her brows furrowed.

"What did you leave at my place?" she asked.

"Nothing," Luci sighed.

She walked down her driveway and noticed my car in the distance. Celia and Khalil had begun to bicker about something while Luci came over to the passenger side window. Pressing the button, the window rolled down.

"I didn't know you were taking me to school today," she said.

I smiled at her and unlocked the door.
"Yeah, I hope it's no problem..."

She opened the door and slid inside the passenger seat. "It's fine," she said. "I just hope it doesn't affect the boundaries thing. You said we shouldn't be alone."

I turned my head back to see Kate glaring at Luci.

"We're not alone," I mumbled.