Chapter 8

"Good morning, em!" Teddy, her friend in the secretariat office waved his hand.

"Good morning, ted." Emma smiled faintly.

"How was the weekend? It doesn't seem good. You look weak." Teddy grimaced.

"It's good. I had fun." Emma chuckled then sighed. "It's just .. it's Monday. Why do days quickly go by." Emma lied.

Teddy chuckled. "I know what you mean. Yeah .. with our boss like that, the weekend feels like weekdays. Good luck, sweetheart." Teddy said sympathetically. Emma laughed awkwardly.

She walked into her room. After removing her jacket, Emma arranged the documents on the table. She checked one by one the cooperation agreement documents that were on the table one by one, piled them up, then put them in the safe. After the safe was opened, Emma rearranged the contents of the safe so that the agreement with Kings corp could be saved properly.

"Wait." Emma went back to unpacking the safe. "Where is it? Where?" Emma murmured in panic. She rechecked the documents stored in the safe. After making sure that the document she was looking for was not there, Emma ran to Connor's office. She looked at her wristwatch. Connor was always on time. Emma still had thirty minutes to search in Connor's office. She remembered the last time the document was opened. Emma entered Connor's office and checked the table and drawers. She checked the contents of the safe in Connor's office.

"Shit!" Emma cursed. Emma rubbed her face. Her stomach was nauseous, her head dizzy, and her breath seemed to be stuck in her throat. Emma closed her eyes for a moment and took a few breaths. She had calmed herself. She remembered where she put Connor's marriage contract documents. "Did I lose it? What do I do?"

While rearranging Connor's office, Emma tried to remember where the document was placed. After closing the door to Connor's office, Emma gasped. She remembered.

*****

Emma walked toward the Kings Corps lobby. Her legs were shaking. She smiled nervously. Her mind was chaotic. What if the agreement was in the wrong hands. Emma remembered the original plot. In the novel plot, Connor's marriage contract agreement was given by Lisa Gibbs to Blake Hutton. Lisa Gibbs was the assistant Connor hired after Emma died saving Connor. Lisa was an ambitious person and a gold digger. She was a bitch who obsessed toward Connor. To destroy Connor's marriage, Lisa gave the marriage contract to Connor's enemy, Blake Hutton. Then, Blake used it to destroy Connor's reputation and Miller inc stocks declined drastically. Because of the stress of the situation, Connor had a big fight with Adeline.

Emma was scared and feeling guilty. Because of her carelessness, she lost the contract. She didn't want anything to happen to Connor and Adeline's relationship. Previously she thought that because she was still alive, the plot had changed. It seemed, the novel plot was like fate. Either way, the goal would be the same.

"Hi, I am Emma Clarke from Miller inc. I want to meet Noah Woods." Emma said to the receptionist.

"Yes, Miss Clarke. Mr. Woods just called to inform you that he is waiting for you in his office on the top floor. Turn left hallway after the elevator."

"Thank you." Emma smiled. She walked to the elevator. Emma saw her appearance at the elevator door on her way upstairs. She looked haggard. Emma remembered her conversation with Ashton Kings over the weekend.

***

"Beside, you're his mother." Ashton smirked.

Emma gaped. "What?"

Ashton chuckled. "He called you mom."

"No. No ... it's just a misunderstanding. I just .."