030. tick tock

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 )
thirty.『 TICK TOCK

A CANNON FIRES, AND INDIE'S STOMACH DROPS FOR A MOMENT

A CANNON FIRES, AND INDIE'S STOMACH DROPS FOR A MOMENT. She subconsciously looks around her, eyes searching until they land on Finnick, something inside her calming and she relaxes again, eating a piece of bread that the lady parachute brought. It was from District 4's and Indie made sure when they split it Finnick got the biggest chunk. Neither Peeta nor Katniss argued, and she guessed they had the same idea.

No one is ready to leave the beach, seeing as it appears to be the safest place at the moment. No looming threats daring to jump out at them, although Indie keeps her knives close, freshly washed of any blood that had stained the sharpened blades.

"There," Katniss says, and Indie looks around, finishing chewing the piece of bread she'd slowly been eating, savoring it.

She spots what Katniss sees. Four figures, stepping out onto the beach. And she follows the other three closer into the thicker of trees, disappearing into the shadows in case they are unfriendly. Right away she noticed they were in bad shape. One was being dragged, the third wanders in circles. But it is the fourth that she realizes they don't need to hide, and something in her feels relieved.

She steps out, Finnick going to grab her hand and pull her back in but already she is calling, "Isaac!" Her feet sink into the warm sand with every step she takes, and again she repeats, despite them having seen her, "Isaac!" As though truly realizing it.

"Indie?" His voice calls, recognizable over the others.

Despite the fact that it looks like he was dipped in red paint, she breaks out into a run, relief getting to her, overtaking the tired and exhausted. Isaac, who she wasn't close to, not like Stephanie, but from home. Isaac, who was there for her, her mentor, her friend.

As she stops in the sand she is quick to embrace Isaac, arms wrapping around him and he does the same. And for the first time in the whole game, she felt the feeling that things were going to work out. Optimism shining bright for a split second, knowing it'd be snuffed out soon enough.

"We thought it was rain, you know, because of the lightning," Johanna says as Indie pills away, noticing Finnick standing behind her, having followed her. "But when it started coming down, it turned out to be blood. Thick, hot blood. You couldn't see, you couldn't speak without getting a mouthful. We just staggered around, trying to get out of it. That's when Blight hit the force field."

"I'm sorry, Johanna." Finnick offers comfortingly.

"Yeah well, he wasn't much but he was from home." She sighs. "And he left me alone with these two," she says, nudging a barely conscious Beetee with her foot. "He got a knife in the back at the cornucopia. And her━"