two

NYX LETS OUT A DEEP BREATH trying not get too frustrated. While Aleksander was gone she was in charge of all the paper work and the Little Palace. She wondered why of all the things he does, it never seemed like the paperwork was the hardest. It made her grateful to only be his right hand, because she could not imagine doing this on a day to day basis.

A knock at the door of her office snaps her out of her thoughts and she takes a deep breath, trying to regain her composure. The last thing she needed was for one of the other Grishas to see her struggling, especially when everyone was competing for the attention of the General.

"Come in." She calls out, making the door creak open and Genya Safin walks in. Nyx smiles, relaxing now that she knows it was Genya. "What brings you here?"

"I finally got dismissed by the wench in the Grande Palace and thought I'd come see my favourite girl." Genya says jokingly, closing the door behind her and making her way to the small couches set up in the middle of the room.

"Careful, G. You're talking about the Queen of Ravka." Nyx chuckles as she pushes herself up and walks to the couch across from where Genya is seated.

"The only Queen I serve is you." Genya winks, making Nyx snort and shake her head.

"Watch it. Anyone could misinterpret that as treason." Nyx points out, leaning back against the back of the couch. Genya raises one of her perfectly trimmed eyebrows.

"With the Darkling watching over you, I think you may become the future Queen." Genya says teasingly, receiving a playful glare. "Although with that face I wouldn't be so sure. When was the last time you slept?"

"I'm not even sure. While he's away, I'm in charge of all our work combined." Nyx groans, throwing her head back in frustration.

"My poor darling. Let me fix you up." Genya hums as she stands up and makes her way around to stand behind Nyx.

"I wish you worked for me rather than the Queen." Nyx hums as she closes her eyes and lets Genya run her fingers over the features that show clear signs of stress or fatigue. "Do you think I could ask for a transfer?"

"I think that'll be considered as treason." Genya hums, running her fingers over Nyx's eyes to get rid of the dark circles.

"I hate you being over there." Nyx says honestly, making the redhead sigh and pat her cheek, before moving back to her seat.

"Nothing can be done. Orders are orders." Genya points out and Nyx sighs as she straightens up. She's about to make a remark when a knock at the door interrupts her, causing her to groan.

"Come in." Nyx calls out and the door swings open to reveal a Tidemaker. Nyx raises an eyebrow questioningly.

"I'm reporting from the Fold on orders of the General." The Tidemaker says nervously, making Nyx realise she was probably still very young. "He has found the Sun Summoner. He will be bring her back to the Little Palace soon and wishes for you to prepare the Vezda Suite for her."

"The Vezda Suite? Isn't that yours?" Genya asks with wide eyes as Nyx stiffens in shock. She wasn't sure whether to be shocked that he had finally found the sun summoner or that he was making her move out of her rooms for a mere girl.

"You may go." Nyx dismisses the Tidemaker who nods and rushes out the room, making sure to close the door behind. "There must be a mistake. I'm sure the poor girl mixed it up, it was a long trip. Why would he give her the Vezda Suite if it's mine?"

"You're right. It's stupid. I mean after all you've been by his side this whole time. Even if it's the sun summoner, he must value you more." Genya points out and Nyx nods in agreement.

"Yes. I just hope this doesn't mean more work." Nyx jokes and Genya laughs, shaking her head.

"Saints forbid you have to do more work." Genya snickers, shaking her head in disbelief. Nyx smiles, trying to not overthink the whole sun summoner situation. If anything, she should be happy. Having a sun summoner means that Aleksander would be able to use her for the Fold and make his goals come true. "I should probably go, I can't have the Queen throw a fit."

"She'll probably hear news of the sun summoner soon, as well." Nyx hums as they both stand up, Genya straightens down her white Kefta. It pained Nyx to see a fellow Coporalki not in red, as one of the rare Tailors in Ravka, Genya was assigned to the Queen at a young age and was deprived from the red kefta.

"Well, best of luck with the new addition." Genya smiles encouragingly and Nyx nods appreciatively. "Keep me updated on it, will you?"

"You know I will. I'll see you later." Nyx smiles at her friend, who waves at her, before leaving. As soon as the door closes, her smile drops and she makes her way to the desk.

Dropping into the seat, she pulls open one of the drawers, opening a secret comportment, David had installed for her. She takes out the key hidden inside and unlocks the drawer at the bottom. As she opens it, she takes a deep breath and pulls out a necklace.

It had been a gift. She still vividly remembers the day Aleksander had given it to her. It was the middle of the night, not a single light visible and they were sitting outside. It was the day she realised that she was madly in love with him.

That day he'd also told her his plans for the Fold and she had realised how much was at stake at that moment. Just like now, with the sun summoner, things were going to change forever. He'd asked her to trust him before leaving, it was as if he'd known the time had come, and she was going to trust him.