Chapter 40: Best Trophy (Pt. 2)

Loud.

The first thing Ian noticed when he was made aware of what was around him was that it was extremely loud. Students from all across town came with their own homemade banners, and with that came the chaotic merge of different rehearsed cheers, loud enough to be considered skull-splitting.

Asher's voice briefly distracted the brunet out of his misery. "That feeling never goes away huh?"

"I guess," Emery nodded, putting his cap on. "I can't believe it's been almost a year since our last meet."

Second, came the anxiety he'd previously claimed he wasn't feeling earlier, which now had conveniently made itself present. He didn't like that very much, no one ever does, especially this close to an event.

Cameron stood quietly behind all of them as Em and Asher conversed. "It's liberating," Asher said, sighing. The crowd's roar began to grow louder by the second as the size of the lump in Ian's throat. "Kind of makes me wonder when I'll get to see another stadium with this many people."

"I'm gonna miss this."

Asher sighed contentedly. "Me, too."

None of them spoke for a while until Blake joined in.

"I could feel my spine crawling out of my ass," he murmured, and for once, Ian agreed with him.

Third and last and probably the most concerning one of all, was that his boyfriend was nowhere to be found.

A sudden microphone feedback blared, startling Ian and everyone else within earshot. It was followed by the commentator's voice, its volume piercing through everybody's ears, though no one seemed to mind.

"Good morning, everyone!" it clamored. "What an absolutely stunning day, wouldn't you agree?"

A chorus of 'yeah's and 'whoo's filled the air, spiking Ian's heartbeat even higher, which wouldn't have stopped rising had Bryce not shown himself at that exact moment.

Ian stood up quickly, which miraculously went over his teammates' attention as he ran towards their captain. "There you are!" he called as the commentator began giving everyone an overview of the events to come. Bryce was holding an opened bottle of water, looking calm as ever as they both ignored the theatrics. "Where were you?"

"I got thirsty," he said, worried. "Why what's the matter?"

Ian parted his mouth to say something. "Nothing... just wondering where you've been."

"You're getting nervous aren't you?"

"Like a bitch," Ian admitted defeatedly. "I feel like I'm gonna drop dead when I get my turn."

"No one's dropping dead, babe," the blond offered. "Water?"

"How do you know that?" Ian grumbled. "Thanks..."

"Because you've been doing this for years?" Bryce told him as if he couldn't believe he even had to answer the question. "Or that you're one of the best swimmers this team has ever seen?"

"Huh," The brunet smirked, wiping the water off his mouth as he grinned. "Really? You mean that?"

"Among many others," Bryce rolled his eyes, flicking the boy's nose as he scrunched his. "Get over it."

Ian chuckled as they both made it to where their friends were seated, listening to the announcer walk the audience through the first four pairs of events this morning: 200-yard medley relay, solo freestyle, individual medley, and of course, 50-yard freestyle. After a ten-minute break, a.k.a. the diving portion which they're all required to watch, the team is expected to follow through the remaining events, ending with the 400-yard freestyle relay.