Chapter 98

Serena just really needed a hug from Alec at this point.

And the second they got to the Institute that's what she did, calm washing over her as she squeezed him close, the smell of him comforting.

They had both had quite the evenings.

Alec had attended Downworlder meetings with Serena before, but this was the first one that he'd ever hosted.

And Luke attended the meeting only to try and kill Valentine, which Alec and Sebastian stopped, thankfully.

She now sat in the ops centre at the head of the table with Alec and Jace on either side as they debriefed him about their mission to the Court.

"So, the Seelie Queen didn't help Kaelie? It was actually a Seelie knight who is now dead?" he clarified.

"Yeah, the Queen's hands are technically clean in this one," Jace said. "I think there's more to it though."

"What makes you say that?" Alec asked.

"I don't know. Call it a gut feeling. The whole thing just felt off. And Simon told me that the Queen said. She wanted to be friends with him. That he would need her help. And what she could give him would save us against what's to come. I want to know what she meant," Serena agreed with her brother before explaining the contents of the phone call that had taken place between her and the vampire. 

"Okay. Well, we'll have the Clave keep a closer eye on the Seelies," Alec said as he took Serena's hand.

"Right," Jace responded as he looked down at the table.

"Are you alright?" Alec asked. "You seem distracted."

"No. Uh, I'm fine," Jace promised.

"He kissed Clary," Serena answered and Jace glared at her but before any more could be said, the redhead herself walked into the Institute.

Jace sighed before going over to her, tugging at the ring around his neck as he walked, a nervous habit he'd picked up since he'd started wearing it. But their conversation didn't last two seconds before Clary walked off and Serena looked to Alec.

"Go. I got him."

A peck to his lips and she chased after the red, who was sitting on her bed crying when she walked in.

"Aw, Clary," she said as she moved to hug her, and the girl just sobbed into her shoulder.

"Hey, Clary, have you seen Serena? I've had the worst -"

Izzy cut herself short when she saw the scene and instantly joined the hug.

And Clary cried her heart out.

******************************************************************

Being the maternal person she was, Serena had pressed a kiss to Clary's hair after throwing a blanket over her, the redhead having cried herself to sleep.

She then dragged Izzy into Izzy's room so they could talk, the trio having spent their time consoling Clary despite the problems the other two girls faced as well.

"Your turn. What's up Iz?" Serena asked as they sat on her bed and instantly Izzy's eyes began to gloss over.

"Uh, first, Mom told me about Dad cheating on her."

"Oh, I'm sorry Iz. I know how much you look up to Dad," Serena said as she rubbed her parabatai's shoulder, but Izzy shook her head.

"I already knew."

"How?" Serena asked with wide eyes.

"He came to check up on us a while ago before Clary showed up, and I overheard one of his phone calls."

"By the Angel, Iz. Why wouldn't you say anything?"

"It wasn't my secret to tell."

Serena pulled Izzy into a hug and that was when Izzy started crying.

"I told her about the yin fen."

Serena pulled away, her heart breaking for her sister.

"I'm sorry, Serena. I'm so sorry. I don't want our bond to break. I'm so sorry," Izzy wept.

"I would never let that happen," Serena promised as she wiped the tears from Izzy's face. "I didn't mean what I said that night outside the Hotel DuMort. I just wanted you to wake up. I wanted my sister back."

"I never meant for our bond to get so weak. I didn't mean –"

"Stop. Izzy, stop," Serena ordered gently as she held Izzy's arms, her own eyes watery. "This was not your fault, ok? And you, like the strong woman you are, you got through withdrawal. And it's only going to get better from here. You didn't leave me when I thought Valentine was my father and I don't plan on leaving you, even if you start dating Raphael. I'm going to be by your side every step of the way, ok?"

Both girls cried as they hugged each other, beyond glad to have their sister back.