Ch.8 Three clock keepers

~Y/n pov~

Mirai followed the trail of sweets without a thought.

Who knew such a simple plan would work.

"Got you." Amane cheered.

"Eh?" She frowned, "In that case, I'll make this girl cuter!"

My eyes widened in shock as she leapt at Nene.

I quickly grabbed Nene but it was too late.

Mirai had touched her. Nothing changed as expected.

Placing two fingers on her forehead, I made her faint - a trick Tsukasa had taught me.

Hopefully, she wouldn't remember.

I lifted her into my arms. Amane stood worriedly by my side.

"I can't move her time forward. Does this mean...she had no time left?"

Kou gasped, "No more time left.... Oi, Hanako! What's that supposed to be?"

"It means just what it sounds, young man." A cloaked figure placed his hand on Kou's head.

Kou went back to his normal age. So this is the last clock keeper?

"Well, well. Look who finally decided to grace us with his presence." Akane sighed, "We wouldn't have had to deal with any of this if you were here from the start... you really are twisted, Kako."

The apparition, now known as Kako, chuckled, "Please I am never late. Because all I have to do is turn back time, and everything returns to its former state."

"Turn back time? He's the third?" Kou asked.

Akane nodded, "The clock keeper who governs the past. He has the power to turn back time. He's kind of our leader."

"So you call him Kako because it means past?"

"Shouldn't you be more concerned about something else?" Akane stared at Kou.

Kou gasped, "Yashiro! Is she okay?"

Amane and I stayed silent.

The boy only stared at us expectantly.

"I told you. I told you not to let the clock keeper touch Yashiro. I told you to be careful.." Amane frowned as he stared at Nene's limp body in my arms.

I gently placed her down against the wall as she peacefully slept, unaware of the whole situation.

Amane sniffled. I could tell he was holding back tears.

He leant into me as I wrapped my arm around his waist.

"Kou..."

The boy in question looked at me, waiting for a response.

"Nene, doesn't have much time left. She'll die within the next year." I told him.

It hurt me just as much as it hurt him.

Nene has been my best friend this whole time. I had no memories.

Yet, I had Nene. She was a constant in my life and the thought of losing her...it breaks my heart.

But there's nothing I can do.

If only I knew I was dead sooner...I wouldn't have got so attached.

"How long have you known?" Kou yelled angrily.

"I've only known since recently but..." I trailed off as I stared down at Amane.

He say anything, instead he presses his face into my neck. He probably couldn't bring himself to face us all.