9.09

"It was a horror show!" Callie let out, loudly, as Helena and Arizona left the kids' room, at Meredith's

"Shhh." Arizona tried.

"We just got the girls back down." Helena explained.

"Oh, and Portland Gen has quotas now. Yeah. It's unspoken but it's understood that you have to churn out a certain number of procedures." Callie informed.

"And no research?" Meredith furrowed her brows.

"Nope. Pegasus is only interested in high-volume, high-price-tag procedures. Barely any patient interaction." The ortho surgeon told them.

"So no research, no innovation, no opportunity to do what it is we got into medicine to do." Helena added.

"Well, we won't let that happen do us here." Derek shrugged.

"Oh, yeah? That's what they said at first." Callie nodded. "And then the people who fought management got fired, and the rest wore down or they left. Now, I don't wanna leave. None of us do. You guys, come on. We have to do this, we have to buy the hospital."

"Whoa, hold on." Mark urged.

"Maybe she's right." Meredith let out.

"Just wait." Arizona spoke up. "What if we don't want to?"

——

"I'm sorry, it's never been my dream to run a hospital." Arizona let out, as Helena peaked over Meredith's shoulder, who texted Cristina.

"Nothing?" Helena sighed.

"She should be here." Derek told them.

"I've been texting her." The blond informed, as the lesbian couple fought.

"Mark and I just got back to work and Derek has just gotten his hand back." Arizona argued. "Don't you want to just... work?"

"Work where? I don't want somebody telling me which patients I can and can't treat." Callie crossed her arms.

"Or putting a stopwatch on how much time I can spend with them." Mark agreed.

"There are other hospitals, you know?" Helena sighed. "Maybe we should just... leave."

"Or maybe if we ran the place we could make policy decisions based on experience." Callie suggested.

"Uh, no offense, but that's a naive way to putting it. The job is much harder than you think. I wanted it once, and I hated it." Derek informed. "We should stay the course. I made a deal with Pegasus that apparently will help the sale."

At that, the short girl mumbled. "Deal with the devil..."

"What deal?" Meredith tried.

"Nothing, it's stupid." Derek shrugged. "But maybe that's how we make it work, from the inside."