CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE.

The celebration for the Prince's birthday came around quickly. Quicker than Liliya had hoped. She had been through multiple fittings to ensure that she looked perfect and Genya had tested hair colours on her. Each day she found herself with a different shade of blonde and Kirigan seemed surprised to see it every time. They eventually decided on a shade and she was ready for the celebration.

Genya had assisted her with the dress and they were now sat at the dressing table. The mirror in front of Liliya as she watched Genya run her hands across her hair. The red locks slowly morphing into the blonde shade they had decided on. It wasn't too dark but it wasn't too light. It looked natural on her skin colour and complimented her eyes that Genya had already turned brown.

It was strange seeing those changes. They were so small, practically insignificant but they made her unrecognisable even to herself. Her head tilting back slightly, seeking out Genya's warmth when she had pulled her hand away. The redhead glanced down before sending her a small smile. She turned around and grabbed the box, flicking it open.

"Is Lord Yanovich here yet?" Liliya asked as she turned around. Or attempted to Genya was quick to roughly push her back into place. Two petals between her fingers. Liliya was instructed to close her eyes and allowed Genya to work her magic. Make her look like she was fit to be a noblewoman.

"Stop moving. General Kirigan said he was speaking to Lord Yanovich privately first," Genya said, her tone harsh. She seemed frustrated and Liliya quickly stopped. She knew better than to keep fiddling, Genya had work to do and she needed to finish doing it.

"I should at least meet the man who I'm pretending is my father. I don't exactly have experience with one," Liliya snapped. Her fidgeting continuing again. Her feet pushing back on the heels of her shoes. The heels were already uncomfortable and she had barely even walked around in them. She was not used to them. She was not used to any of this. The fancy clothes, the jewels. She had never expected to be dressed like this, to be pretending to be part of the King's Court. Now she was and she felt like a fraud.

"Lord Yanovich is here, Milaya. Genya, once you are done, come to me in my office," Kirigan said as he looked over at her. The redhead nodded and Liliya cracked her eyes open. Her gaze flicked to Genya's face and then over to Lord Yanovich. He looked kinder than Liliya had expected. His soft almond eyes and cautious smile. He seemed just as nervous as she was.

"Look at me," Genya instructed. Liliya was quick to look back at Genya. The redhead examined her face before nodding. She deemed it suitable and then moved Liliya to sit up straight. Pushing her so she could do her hair. Her fingers worked quickly, deftly and her hair was quickly pulled up. The fancy up-do made her feel even more like a fraud, "Don't touch it. If there are problems during the ball, be discreet and find me. Don't blow your cover. Good luck," Genya said before she walked away. Not another word leaving her lips. Liliya sighed and then stood up. She gave herself a moment to adjust before letting a smile grace her lips.