Chapter Twenty-Four: Benedict Comes to a Decision [Part Two]

Franny looked exquisite at the party after Daphne's wedding with her golden hair tied up emphasising her long, swanlike neck and she was sparkling in a pale lilac dress that fell on her slender waist and hugged her lean body closely. But it wasn't the dress that made her breathtaking. There was something different in the way she held herself, the way her eyes assumed a playful glint when they fell on him and the way her face radiated with a smile. Maybe she hasn't changed a bit, but he felt closer to her. That meant that they had to get rid of Wetherby's marriage proposal. It was futile in the first place, but after the night at the Granville studio, it became clear that Wetherby stood no chance. Benedict was eager to find out what Franny talked about with him and gulped on his champagne when she joked about a wedding with Wetherby. It was his turn to retort and jest about making a counteroffer. Franny went so livid that Benedict was afraid she would faint. Marrying her has been at the back of his mind, but her reaction made it clear that it was too soon to pose the all-important question. It would be some time till he got down on one knee, at least until the mere mentioning of marriage didn't drain the colour from her cheeks. Benedict couldn't decide whether to be frustrated or thankful for his sister's interruption, so he settled somewhere in between. Eloise also granted him an opportunity to steal Franny away and have his wicked way with her. Not too wicked, of course, after all, they were at his sister's wedding, but one or two kisses under the coverage of a monumental flower bouquet wouldn't hurt. He had considerable experience in how to seduce a woman and he couldn't wait to try every single one of his tricks on her. They would go slowly until she would be seduced by his tantalising assaults. And he would enjoy each second of it.

One kiss surely wasn't enough. He would steal hundreds more and that would still not be enough. But Franny was right, and they could be exposed in the corridor, and however thrilling that was, he wanted to avoid bringing shame to their families. It was convenient that his father's study was close by. Except that it was already occupied by none other than his younger brother and Miss Thompson, who were standing only a few inches away from each other. Benedict was not in the position to chastise his brother and he lacked the self-importance to be a hypocrite or the title to manage his younger siblings' love life, both of which was Anthony's job. Not to mention that Colin, as always, brazenly talked his way out of any repercussion. With hindsight, however, Benedict blamed himself for not telling Anthony about the incident, because it might have prevented the scandal that later unfolded. Or only made it worse. Benedict didn't know which option was more likely, but he still felt responsible for Colin's misfortune.

In spite of, or exactly because of teasing about their future wedding, Benedict has been giving a lot of thought about the possibility. He knew that the time was not yet right, but they were heading gradually towards the preferable outcome. When he saw her with his sister, Hyacinth, the one whose impatience and sassiness could have battled Franny's, it rushed through him with an overwhelming intensity that he wanted to have children with Franny. Likely more than one and definitely less than eight. Eight were too much noise, trouble and headache, but four seemed a nice, even number. He glanced at his mother who had an approving little smile on her impeccable face, and he knew that he would soon have to face her infamous matchmaking techniques. It made him proud because her mother's opinion mattered to him gravely. She was the wisest woman he had ever known, and it was vital to him that she approved of his future betrothed. It was also important that his future wife got along with his family because, despite everything, he would lay down his life for them. Benedict also finally found the use of little sisters, as Hyacinth's idea to request, or rather demand Franny to be her new painting teacher was quite preferential. The more frequently Franny visited Bridgerton house, the more chance there would be to excuse themselves to get some fresh air. He also discovered that painting was much more enjoyable with Franny in his lap and re-discovered exactly how nosy his little sister could be when they were once again interrupted.