Chapter 37

Anna's first reaction was to look in the mirror in the bathroom. She wanted to see how bad the wound was on her neck. When she looked in the mirror, she was reminded that she had no reflection. She muttered a curse.

A woman stumbled out of the bathroom stall. Anna turned and stepped to the side so that she was no longer in front of the mirror. The woman's eyes grew wide when she looked at Anna clutching her bleeding neck.

"Oh my god," she said. "You're bleeding. Do you need help? What on Earth happened to you?"

"Oh, this?" Anna let out a fake giggle. "This is just make-up."

The woman smiled and laughed. She put her hand on her chest as she let out a deep breath. She wagged a finger at Anna.

"That's good," she said. "You really got me going there."

The woman washed her hands before leaving. Anna leaned back against the wall and closed her eyes. She did not open them until she heard the bathroom door open a few minutes later.

Alice walked through the door. Her lipstick was smeared and Anna guessed that she had been kissing the man she was dancing with. Alice stopped walking when she saw Anna. Her brows furrowed together and she shook her head.

"What happened to you?" she asked.

"Rhys bit me," Anna said.

"Kinky," she said. "But why?"

Anna sucked in her bottom lip. She dropped her hand from her neck. She turned and tried to wash away the blood. The water swirled pink into the drain.

"Why would Rhys bite you?" Alice asked.

"He had been feeding me his blood," she said.

"Oh, shit." Alice leaned against the counter and watched Anna scrub her hands. "Why did you not tell me?"

"I was embarrassed. I did not know what it would do when I drank it."

"What does this have to do with Rhys biting you?"

Anna looked up at Alice. Her arms were crossed over her chest. She raised an eyebrow, expecting Anna to speak more.

"You don't know?" Anna asked.

"Know what?" she asked.

"Rhys drinking my blood reverses the compelling hold he has over me."

Alice let out a laugh. Anna pulled a piece of paper towel out of the dispenser and dried her hands.

Did anyone else know about the reversal? Alice did not know, but what about Drew? If Drew knew, would he have asked her to run away with him? The worst thought crossed her mind. What if Drew knew and was keeping it from her?

"Why would Rhys want to reverse it?" Alice asked. Anna raised an eyebrow and Alice smirked. "He obviously fed you his blood for a reason."

"He did not want me to kill myself," Anna said.

"Like Hannah?" she asked.

"I think so."

Alice ran her fingers through her hair. She turned and leaned against the counter. She looked in the mirror despite there being no reflection.

"That man is obsessed with that girl," she said. "I had never met her. All I know is that Rhys loses his mind when someone mentions her."

"This does not mean that I forgive him." Anna pointed at her neck. "This just means that I have my mind back. I need to talk to Drew now."

Anna headed to the door.

"Why Drew?" Alice called after her.

"I need to ask him something," she said.