The confrontation

Hongjoong waited anxiously at the edge of the pool, his feet swinging back and forth through the water. He had to tell Seonghwa. It was now or never. It would probably ruin everything. But he needed to tell him. He couldn't hide it anymore. He crossed his arms and took a deep breath. He had to do it.

He heard the scanner click as the door to the pool opened and Seonghwa came in, a giddy smile spread across his face. Hongjoong was confused.

Hadn't he said he had bad news? He didn't give off the wrong message, did he? But when he made eye contact with Seonghwa, he immediately changed his expression to match Hongjoong's.

"Hi," he said cautiously.

"What's got you so excited?" Hongjoong tried to tease but his heart wasn't quite in it.

"Nothing! Nothing, I was just—it's nothing. You said you had something to talk to me about?"

"Yeah."

Seonghwa set his stuff down and walked over to Hongjoong. Taking a seat, he lightly dipped his feet into the water, pressing his toes together and curling them at the temperature.

"A little colder than last time," he said with a smile.

Hongjoong looked at him for a while. His eyes traced Seonghwa's delicate features, watched his sparkling eyes, admired his soft hair still styled the way it had been at the studio. How could he break his heart? This beautiful, incredible soul. He placed his small hand on Seonghwa's fingers, intertwining them.

Seonghwa looked down at his hand and squeezed back. He turned his face back to Hongjoong, waiting for the news.

"There's something I have to tell you."

"I know, you said that in your text," Seonghwa smiled.

"Right, sorry." Hongjoong scratched the back of his neck, looking back at the pool water.

Hongjoong felt his eyes starting to water and he turned his face away from Seonghwa, trying to keep them in. He tried to tell himself that it wasn't necessarily the end, that maybe he was misjudging Seonghwa. He wasn't giving him enough credit. Just because he said his career came first didn't necessarily mean it did, right? Wasn't that what Wooyoung insisted?

He wiped his eyes and started to turn back to Seonghwa when his negative thoughts resurfaced. He won't be understanding. He's going to be upset. He's never going to talk to you again. You'll never get to spend time with him again.

"Hongjoong? Are you okay?"

Impulsively, Hongjoong whipped back to face Seonghwa, grabbing his neck and pulling his mouth to his own, sinking into a deep kiss. Seonghwa was shocked but not upset, quickly leaning into it and grabbing Hongjoong's lower back. Tears started flowing again as Hongjoong tried his best to wipe them. Seonghwa noticed and immediately pulled back, his eyebrows bent in concern.

"Joongie? What's going on—"

"Don't stop yet," Hongjoong mustered, pulling Seonghwa back to him.

Seonghwa was confused but kept going, seeing how badly Hongjoong wanted it. Finally he felt tears landing on his cheek and he slowly released again.

"Joongie, just talk to me," he said, wiping Hongjoong's face.

"If I talk to you you won't talk to me ever again!" he burst, not expecting to be so forward.

"What? What do you mean?" Seonghwa started to look upset. "Tell me Hongjoong? What is it?"

Hongjoong bit his lip and let out a short sob.